Re: Dennett's bad word and Johnson's question

From: MikeBGene@aol.com
Date: Sun Apr 02 2000 - 22:57:02 EDT

    Brian writes:

    >The author makes the case for the inverted eye
    >"design" to be superior to all other designs. For sake
    >of argument, let's suppose this is true.

    I'm not familiar with this article/author, but I have
    read a couple of other articles about this topic that
    make a similar point. At this spot, it is worth stepping
    back to see once again that ID can indeed generate
    testable hypotheses with the potential to bring about
    a better understanding of the world. In fact, in this case,
    one might say that Darwinism is the 'science killer' as
    this perspective is quite satisfied with leaving the
    vertebrate eye in the "bad design" class and explaining
    this apparent irrationality as something to be expected
    from a blind watchmaker.

    But on to your question:

    >My question is this. Since the intelligent designer is
    >capable of re-using designs and since this does make
    >sense from the engineering design point of view, why
    >did he not employ this superior design more uniformly,
    >i.e. instead of some of the apparently "inferior" designs
    >we find elsewhere?

    Good question. But this is a research question. That is,
    you've hit on yet another way ID can guide scientific research,
    as attempts to address this question would do just that.
    Let's think of some possible hypotheses:

    1. If one has evidence that various orders and genus of
    vertebrates are the products of intelligent intervention, this
    superior design has indeed been commonly employed.
    Things would then become fuzzy and subjective when
    trying to argue it should have been used yet *more*
    commonly.

    2. It may be a superior design for a *vertebrate*. Would
    the vertebrate eye in a fruit fly really be better? Are we
    comparing apples and oranges?

    2a. Organs are the products of embryological development
    and the design of eyes would involve the design of developmental
    pathways. Thus, there might be a trade-off between the finished
    product and the means of generating the product such that
    "superior design" is really found to optimally balance the
    two.

    3. Not everything is necessarily the product of intelligent
    intervention. Thus, a superior vs. inferior design could
    reflect an origin via an intelligent watchmaker vs. one
    via a blind watchmaker.

    4. Remember that we study organisms with a history
    of some degree of evolution. An organism with an
    inferior design might have originated with a much better
    design, yet environmental constraints may have relaxed
    at some point to allow the design to tolerate degradation.

    The bottom line is that I don't know how to answer your
    question as I have not thought about this issue much (nor
    do I possess extensive knowledge about vision physiology).
    In fact, if someone has an answer, chances are
    they are relying on their own metaphysics and philosophy
    since such a question really requires research. How does one
    define "superior" and compare different design plans? Does it
    make much sense to ask if a luxury car is superior to a sports
    car?

    It would seem to me that the real point behind all this is that
    the "bad design" argument for the vertebrate eye is not without
    a response and that response itself is capable of generating
    research and understanding.

    Mike