Re: Dennett's bad word and Johnson's question

From: Brian D Harper (bharper@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 01:01:10 EDT

    At 02:55 PM 3/28/00 -0500, Mike wrote:
    >Me:
    >
    > > I am not asking for direct evidence as I do not expect such a
    > > thing. Indirect evidence is just fine. What indirect evidence
    > > indicates that a major evolutionary innovation was indeed the
    > > product of RM&NS?
    >
    >Tedd:
    >
    > >How about evidence of gene duplication? Unless the process of
    > >gene duplication can be shown to require intelligent help, I
    > >think RM & NS wins again.
    >
    >Evidence of gene duplication is simply sequence similarity.
    >How is this evidence against ID and for RM&NS? Where in
    >ID is the requirement for the intelligent designer to employ
    >nothing more than completely different sequences? Where is
    >the evidence that those sequence similarities were indeed
    >generated by random gene duplications?

    Hi Mike. Let me ask you a question. The most recent issue of
    <Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith> contains the
    following article:

    Bergman, Jerry. "Is the Inverted Human Eye a Poor
    Design?" <Perspectives on Science and Christian
    Faith> 52:1, 18, M 2000.

    The author makes the case for the inverted eye
    "design" to be superior to all other designs. For sake
    of argument, let's suppose this is true.

    My question is this. Since the intelligent designer is
    capable of re-using designs and since this does make
    sense from the engineering design point of view, why
    did he not employ this superior design more uniformly,
    i.e. instead of some of the apparently "inferior" designs
    we find elsewhere?

    Brian Harper
    Associate Professor
    Mechanical Engineering
    The Ohio State University
    "How come stealing from one book is plagiarism,
    and stealing from many is research?"
    -- Alfred E Newman