Re: Disbelieving Darwin and Feeling No Shame, by William Dembski

From: Tedd Hadley (hadley@reliant.yxi.com)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 16:59:23 EST

    MikeBGene@aol.com writes
      in message <a0.26a2f64.260bc7fb@aol.com>:

     <snip>
    > I'm afraid my interpretation closely and logically follows
    > the written intentions of Dennett. But I bore of this topic.

       I can see, generally, that you believe you know Dennett very
       well. Whereas I'm forced to read his writings without a notion
       of what kind of person he is, you apparently know the man right
       down to his rotten core and his intentions are crystal clear.

       Well, you could be right, I admit that. If he does hate
       religion that much, he probably would agree deep down with
       such an interpretation.

       But I consider it prudent to interpret a person's writings only
       to the extent that the words permit, and we have seen that the
       simplest, most straightforward interpretation only allows us to
       conclude that Dennett's language is careful to avoid the
       interpretation that Dembski accidently (a sloppy reading still
       remains the simplest explanation for his misquote, in my opinion)
       reads into it. A methodology that allows us to extract any
       meaning from text as long as we believe it is consistent with
       the author's intent is fraught with problems, not the least of
       which is a complete disregard for the very probable existence
       of our own preconcieved notions.