Re: Disbelieving Darwin and Feeling No Shame, by William Dembski

From: MikeBGene@aol.com
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 14:18:19 EST

    Me:

    > Don't agree. "Deprogramming" children (wasn't this common with
    > communists?) is indeed quarantine-in-action. An intimate part
    > of of the parent-child relationship is to pass on one's traditions
    > and beliefs. To "deprogram" is to disrupt this process and thus
    > quarantine the parent's beliefs.

    Tedd:

    >That's a hell of a stretch and certainly not the normal use of
    >the word quarantine.

    I would say it's very close to the use of the word Dennett had
    in mind. Of course, he might have had leper colonies in mind
    when he advocated 'quarantine,' and if this is the case, he
    is a far more dangerous and intolerant fundamentalist than I
    thought.

    >By that definition, any biology teacher
    >may be quarantining the parents of any student he teaches.

    No, Dennett's faith is not "biology." Students can learn
    about biology without having to be indoctrinated in
    Dennett's faith that all evolution is indeed driven by natural
    selection. After all, there is no evidence for this faith.

    >So now, if I manage to change the mind of an ardent creationist,
    >I am quarantining his parents? If I play a part in altering
    >your thinking beyond what you were taught as a child, does that
    >mean I am quarantining your parents?

    Dennett is not talking about isolated examples, he is talking
    about a generic approach to memes he doesn't agree with.

    Dennett's beliefs, remember his response:

    "then you must expect, at the very least, that those of us who
     have freedom of speech will feel free to describe your teachings as the
     spreading of falsehoods, and will attempt to demonstrate this to your
     children at the earliest opportunity. Our future well-being--the well-being
     of all of us on the planet--depends on the education of our descendants."

    Note that this is "the very least" "we" will do. Note how he inflates his
    own views into the realm of cosmic importance (typical of fundamentalists)
    where "we" will do what it takes to secure "our future well being."
    Dennett has in mind more than a one-on-one debate, but an overall
    large-scale approach to accomplish the following:

    "The message is clear," he wrote: "those who will not accomodate,
    who will not temper, who insist on keeping only the purest
    and wildest strain of their heritage alive, we will be obliged,
    reluctantly, to cage or disarm, and we will do our best to
    disable the memes [traditions] they fight for."

    I'm afraid my interpretation closely and logically follows
    the written intentions of Dennett. But I bore of this topic.

    Mike