Re: Dennett's bad word and Johnson's question

From: Terry M. Gray (grayt@lamar.colostate.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 18:59:44 EST

    Allen,

    I'm going to jump in here, reluctantly, because I'm not sure I have time
    for a sustained discussion, but I think that the either/or that you've
    painted is part of the problem. What do you do with those of us
    "evolutionary creationists"? Indeed, some evolutionists and some
    creationists are guilty of assuming the conclusion. No doubt, if you start
    with Philosophical Naturalism, you're going to end up there. Also, if you
    start with Young Earth Creationism, you're going to end up there.

    But, what if, oh and it seems a big what if in the contemporary discussion,
    what if, you are a theist and a creationist (i.e. you believe that God
    created), but you also believe that God could have created however he
    pleased (including using evolutionary processes) and that you are willing
    to let the evidence tell you how he did it (not your interpretation of
    Genesis)??????

    I'd suggest that these people turn into old earth evolutionists. It is this
    class of people, in my opinion, that gives the greatest credibility to
    evolution because their commitment to evolution is not rooted in
    Philosophical Naturalism but in empiricism. (To be honest, that is my
    reading of most scientists, even non-Christian scientists--philosophical
    commitments play much less a role in their conclusions that you might
    think, although there is an outspoken minority around who are an exception.)

    It is the young earth creationists who are blatantly and unapologetically
    non-empirical (as your post indicates). Your commitment to young earth
    catastrophism has NOTHING to do with empirical evidence but EVERYTHING to
    do with your commitment to a particular interpretation of Genesis. Sure
    it's possible to interpret the world within the confines of your axioms,
    but there are certain questions that you simply cannot ask of the evidence:
    age of the earth, origin of species, etc. because your Biblical
    interpretation has already answered those questions decisively.

    For those of you who don't know me, I'm the evolution list manager, an
    advocate of evolutionary creation, former biochemistry professor at Calvin
    College, and now computer support scientist in the chemistry department at
    Colorado State University. Of late, I've been a mere lurker on the list.

    TG

    Fort Collins, Colorado 80523
    grayt@lamar.colostate.edu http://www.chm.colostate.edu/~grayt/
    phone: 970-491-7003 fax: 970-491-1801