Re: Dennett's bad word and Johnson's question

From: Allen & Diane Roy (Dianeroy@peoplepc.com)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 13:37:52 EST

    From: Susan Brassfield <Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu>
    > BTW I was kind of stumped by Johnson's question for a very long time until
    > I finally realized that no scientist, or anybody who thinks like a
    > scientist would *ever* be convinced by a single bit of evidence. It's
    > thousands of bits of evidence taken together that are convincing. So the
    > peppered moth or "The Beak of the Finch" are worthless without all the
    rest
    > of the other evidence from biology, paleontology, geology, physics and
    > chemistry backing it all up.

    The same goes for Creationary scientists and philosophical thinkers. But
    the problem is not the evidence, but the philosophy within which the
    evidence is interpreted. We have the Evolutionary philosophy and the
    Creationary philosophy, both of which are religious in that they are based
    on axioms which must be accepted by/on faith.

    Evolutionism has the following axioms:
    A. Naturalism: (Materialism) the concept that matter is eternal, there is
    nothing else.
    B. Actualism:(Uniformitarianism with the uniform part dropped) the present
    is the key to the past.
    C. All life forms evolved from nothing over long ages.

    The corresponding Creationary Catastrophist's axioms are:
    A. Creationism: matter was created and is not eternal.
    B. Catastrophism: a catastrophe is responsible for most of the sedimentary
    geologic record.
    C. All life forms (with adaptive capabilities) were created within a short
    time frame.

    None of these axioms are scientifically based. Rather, science is and can
    only be done and interpreted within these axiom sets. The Evolutionary
    axioms are based on mankind's experience and suppositions: i.e. they are
    humanistic. The Creationary axioms are based on the experiential knowledge
    that the God of the Bible is real and truthful. Rather than human-centric,
    they are God-centric. Creationists know by experience that because God is
    Truth then they can depend upon by faith in the truth of God the Biblical
    witness evidence for events which have occurred outside otherwise normal
    human experience.

    Your statement above reveals a false logic of which you seem blissfully
    ignorant. You say that it is the thousands of bits of evidence (which is
    interpreted within the religious philosophy of Evolutionism) which convince
    you of the truth of Evolutionism. But you seem to not recognize that
    Evolutionism is first assumed in the above axioms, therefore by trying to
    use the Evolutionarily interpreted evidences to prove Evolutionism, you
    commit the fallacy of proving what you assume.

    Creationists reject all evidence which is interpreted within the
    Evolutionary paradigm as superfluous. All evidence is instead interpreted
    within the Creationary paradigm. As long as they only do that, and do not
    attempt to then "Prove Creationism," they are entirely within their right
    (and to do so with validity) to scientifically study, understand and
    interpreted the natural world.

    The controversy between Evolutionism and Creationism is not between
    evidences but between interpretation of evidences according to one paradigm
    or the other. The real crux of the matter are the axioms first assumed by
    both sides. That is where the discussion should really be. And that, of
    course, is by nature religious.

    Allen Roy