Dennett's bad word and Johnson's question

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 14:28:38 EST

    Hi Susan,
    Is it possible you and I might find areas of agreement?

    Susan:
    >Science is an attempt, however flawed, to examine reality as
    >objectively as possible. Although a lot of science is tentative
    >and subject to change as new information is discovered, a lot
    >of it is not. The attempts of conservative Christians to conceal
    >reality from themselves and their children doesn't do
    >them, their children or their religion any good.

    Bertvan:
    A materialist might define reality as consisting solely of matter and known
    physical forces, and a non materialist might define reality as consisting of
    something more. (mind, God, soul, free will, information, purpose, unknowns,
    etc.) I doubt scientists are in unanimous agreement on a materialist
    definition of reality. Some people are probably convinced everyone who
    disagrees with their personal philosophy are "attempting to conceal reality
    from themselves and their children".

    Susan
    >Natural selection happens. Whether it's random or directed by the gods is
    >up for grabs and a matter of faith.

    Bertvan:
    I think most Darwinists would object to Natural Selection being
    characterized as "random". It is supposedly the creative force that turns
    random mutations into rational information and functioning biological
    systems. Natural Selection happens. Whether it ensures stasis or creates
    novelty is being debated.

    Susan:
    > The same is true of mutations. They
    >happen. Sometimes they are beneficial and get selected for. Whether
    >mutations are random or directed by the gods is up for grabs, but you can't
    >deny that it happens any more than you can deny that natural selection
    >happens. Life has a long history and species of plants and animals change
    >through time. The evidence for that happening is so enormous that it can't
    >be ignored. Whether or not history was guided by the gods in order to
    >culminate in our wonderful selves is up for grabs, science can't address
    >that.

    Bertvan:
    I don't know anyone who disagrees with evolution defined as "species of
    plants and animals change
    through time". I suspect now that scientists are breaking away from dogmatic
    insistence that mutations must be random, science will achieve better
    understanding of some of the mechanisms behind mutations.

    Susan:
    >The downfall of biblical literalists is that they are trying to address
    >questions that they can't address. Johnson is making a smiliar mistake in
    >trying to make science address questions it can't address. I've heard his
    >common question about "what single piece of evidence for evolution was so
    >compelling that it convinced you?" has reciprical question. "What would
    >science look like with it's naturalistic assumptions removed?"

    Bertvan:
    Biblical literalists exist. I don't know any. I haven't noticed any on this
    discussion board. Neither Behe, Johnson, Denton, Kenyon, Hoyle, Dembski,
    Spetner, Margulis, Mike Gene, Steve Jones nor I are biblical literalists.
    Most of us are skeptical of Darwinism. "Change in species over time" was
    not Darwin's contribution to scientific thought. That was already commonly
    accepted. Darwin's contribution was the idea that Natural Selection
    gradually turns small mutations into rational biological systems and body
    parts by the Darwinist mechanism of Natural Selection.

     I am an observer of science, and can offer no scientific theories. My
    interest in this subject is that the public seems under the impression that
    only biblical literalists question "evolution". Many people on the other
    side of this argument seem eager to convince the public that everyone who
    questions Darwinism is a biblical literialist. Whether the evidence for
    Darwinism is meager or consists of "tons of evidence" is open to
    interpretation. Scientists will make those interpretations regardless of
    your or my opinions on the matter. Like you, I am concerned about public
    opinion and try to contribute my bit.

    Bertvan