Educating homophobia

From: Tedd Hadley (hadley@reliant.yxi.com)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 15:44:03 EST

    Bertvan@aol.com writes
      in message <d3.2568844.25f80ba9@aol.com>:
    > Hi Ted,
    > You said:
    > > I agree, though, with Cliff's observation that there is probably
    > > more to homophobia than xenophobia. However, what ties all of
    > > this in to education is the fact that homophobia is fundamentally
    > > irrational. Every fear that defines homophobia is ungrounded.
    > > Education is usually highly effective in treating irrational fears.
    >
    > Why is "educating" people to adopt what we regard as socially
    > acceptable attitudes any different from what religious people
    > have tred to do in the past? While I personally am not homophobic,
    > I am bothered by people who regard all beliefs except their own
    > as "irrational", and want to "educate" everyone else to "the
    > correct attitude". It is precisely this aspect of Darwinism to
    > which I object, their attempts to ridicule and silence anyone
    > who criticizes "random mutation and natural selection". The
    > term "educate" brings up visions of the establishment trying to
    > impose some view upon everyone else, rather than allow any
    > obective discussion of ideas.

       Not to worry. Educate, in the present context, is used only as
       a means to avert hostility, persecution, human suffering.
       Education does not coerce but merely presents the facts as they
       are known. Ultimately it is up to individuals to allow themselves
       to be educated.

       Unfortunately, it is human nature to often ridicule those who
       reject certain facts on the basis of religious beliefs, but that
       is not a necessary component or characteristic of education.