Re: If we can cure homophobia, maybe we can cure materialism.

From: Susan Brassfield (Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 15:24:58 EST

    Bertvan:

    >A materialistic psychology was inevitable. Thoughts, beliefs and feelings
    >were "things" to be analyzed and manipulated, either by persuasion and
    >intimidation or by chemical and surgical manipulation of the brain.

    every time you launch into this rant I hear the rattle of chains. Back
    before the evil materialists figured out a way to manage mental illness
    with "persuasion and intimidation or by chemical and surgical manipulation
    of the brain." The used to do the kind and enlightened thing--chain them in
    a dungeon. Before the evil materialists tried to figure out the
    non-naturalistic basis of mental illness the enlightened non-materialists
    thought it was caused by demons or evil spirits.

     Ah, the good old days when things were better than they are now!

    > Perhaps the most effective treatment for mental suffering might be to try
    >to cure people of materialism.

    that's what we need--education! They need to be told that demons are doing
    it. After all, demons are not natural (or are they?) And best of all, it's
    a drug-free and inexpensive solution!

    Susan

    For if there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing
    of life as in hoping for another and in eluding the implacable grandeur of
    this one.
    --Albert Camus

    http://www.telepath.com/susanb/