If we can cure homophobia, maybe we can cure materialism.

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 12:21:32 EST

    Materialist biology regards organisms, including people, as mere
    collections of atoms and molecules, interacting according to known laws of
    physics. Life itself is believed to have generated spontaneously by some
    accidental, random interaction of atoms and molecules. Some scientists
    spend their lives, like ancient alchemists, trying to recreate this
    accidental shuffling of matter known as abiogenesis. Darwinists tell us
    that complex organisms were a gradual accumulation of infinite numbers of
    accidental, random rearrangement of matter, called mutations. "Natural
    selection" is supposedly the creative power behind complex organisms. By
    ensuring that the most capable organisms (those producing the most progeny)
    survived and the less fit became extinct, Natural Selection somehow "created"
    all the complexity of life - and did so impersonally, without plan, purpose,
    design or meaning,

    A materialistic psychology was inevitable. Thoughts, beliefs and feelings
    were "things" to be analyzed and manipulated, either by persuasion and
    intimidation or by chemical and surgical manipulation of the brain. With the
    rise of psychiatry, it quickly became apparent that peoples' thoughts were
    eminently susceptible to manipulation by persuasion or intimidation.
    Therapists were successful in convincing patients their unacceptable thought
    processes were due to a traumatic childhood, male chauvinism, maternal
    domination, penis envy, or whatever else was psychiatrically fashionable. It
    also became apparent that there was no way to weed out therapists with
    bizarre ideas. A psychology degree or a medical diploma couldn't ensure
    that therapists wouldn't persuade patients their unhappiness was due to
    Satanic ritual abuse, alien abductions, or imaginary or forgotten multiple
    sexual assaults. Chemical or surgical manipulation of the brain has become
    the accepted treatment for people with unacceptable thoughts. Even though
    medical science does not understand why drugs or electric shock treatments
    should bring relief to anyone, some "mentally ill" people apparently feel
    helped by them. Nevertheless the number who feel damaged by such assaults
    upon their brains are growing, and grass-roots opposition to psychiatry is
    proliferating.

    Yet, despite widespread dissatisfaction with psychiatry, many people still
    want "help", and the mental health industry wants to "help" them. (Needs to
    help them, in order to stay in business and justify all those psychology
    degrees.)

      Perhaps the most effective treatment for mental suffering might be to try
    to cure people of materialism.

    The inevitable conclusion of materialism was that "free will" is an illusion,
    and behavior is merely the result of atoms and neural connections in the
    brain. Sociobiologists have even suggested love and altruism are "survival
    mechanisms", the impersonal result of "random mutation and natural
    selection". Now we have added homosexuality, homophobia and rape to the
    list. It is true that much behavior seems to be automatic or instinctive,
    and not due to conscious choice. However to deny "free will" is to deny all
    that distinguishes life from non life. Materialistic science is inclined to
    declare anything it can't define or measure "not part of the real world".
    Even though science can't measure, predict, define or manipulate "free will",
    those of us who aren't materialists have discovered we have some power to
    over ride instincts, habits and automatic behavior. We aren't necessarily
    the victims of our genes, chemistry or past suffering. We are more than a
    collection of matter. We have some ability to change ourselves. Perhaps
    all the "random mutations" which resulted in "instincts" weren't random at
    all, but the accumulation of individual exercises of "free will". So while
    the ability to change ourselves might be limited, if we change ourselves to
    any degree, we would be taking part in the creative process of the universe.
    Wouldn't we?

    Bertvan

    http://members.aol.com/bertvan