Re: Definitions

From: Allen & Diane Roy (Dianeroy@peoplepc.com)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 12:36:49 EST

    From: <David_Bowman@georgetowncollege.edu>
    > I don't think your argument is justified. Of course one tries to make
    > use of all the data at one's disposal in finding a rock date. Usually
    > this includes using some nonradiometric clues as to a ball park order of
    > magnitude estimate for the age of the rock so an appropriate dating
    > technique can be applied. But this assumption is not logically
    > necessary. The main reason it is usually made is for mundane and
    > practical concerns relating to the amount of expense and effort gone to
    > to get a date. Using nonradiometric clues for a prior order of magnitude
    > age estimate of a rock allows one to avoid wasting much time, effort and
    > expense in getting the actual age. Often dating a rock radiometrically
    > is a tedious, time consuming, and expensive task. ...

    How one interprets radiometric or nonradiometric clues found in the rocks depends upon ones presuppositions or axioms. If you hold to the Principle of Uniformitarianism (or the Principle of Actualism) then you will automatically expect and look for old ages. If you hold to the idea of Catastrophism you will automatically expect and look for young ages. And when one expects and assumes there will be old ages, then one cannot then prove old ages by using radiometric or nonradiometric means. It would be a logical falacy to do so. It is perfectly logical to accept the old ages acquired by radiometric and nonradiometric methods if you already assume Actualism. But old ages cannot be used as evidence against Catastrophism because of the basic differences in presuppositions.

    The only level on which to argue between Actualism and Catastrophism is concerning presuppositions. Creationary Catastrophism is based on religious presuppositions drawn from the Bible which one would accept as valid according to faith in the God of the Bible. Actualism is based on religious presuppositions drawn from the minds of men who accept naturalism on blind faith.

    Allen

    Because of this