Ed's review of Colson's review of Rare Earth

From: Ed.Babinski@furman.edu
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 14:41:52 EST

    Regarding Chuck's recent broadcast/review of
    the book, Rare Earth...Here's some jottings that
    he ought to take note of in future.
    Sincerely, Edward T. Babinski
    (author of Leaving the Fold: Testimonies of Former Fundamentalists,
    and editor of Cretinism or Evilution?)
    ed.babinski@furman.edu
    http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/ed_babinski/

    >>the conventional
    >>wisdom that the universe is teeming with intelligent
    >>life.

    Who ever said the universe was "teeming" with life?
    That's akin to confusing "Star Trek and Star Wars"
    images of the universe with modern day astronomy.

    >>They simply don't think the evidence
    >>supports the view that the universe is full of
    >>planets suitable for life.

    Who ever said the universe was "full" of
    planets suitable for life? Some, planets maybe,
    including planets like ours, which is just one planet
    out of over 50 billion galaxies each containing over
    a billion stars. Probably the majority of life
    on other planets (should it evolve there and
    should we visit them) will turn out to be small
    and simple. After all, single celled life forms
    dominated our planet for over a billion years,
    which is longer than all the time that multicellular
    life forms have dominated our planet.

    >>Many recently discovered gas giants, like Jupiter,
    >>surprised astronomers by exhibiting wildly
    >>eccentric, or highly ellipitical orbits.

    The gas giants that astronomers have recently discovered
    circling nearby stars are, I believe,
    LARGER than Jupiter. And they HAVE to BE in order
    for us to DETECT them with our relatively
    crude telescopes which still can't pick up
    visual images of planets as small as our earth.
    But the fact that rings of matter have been seen
    orbiting nearby stars has lead astronomers to
    conclude that planetary systems around stars
    other than the earth are not as improbable
    as previously thought.

    >>Finally, Brownlee and Ward argue that Jupiter's
    >>immense size protects the Earth. With its great
    >>mass, 318 times greater than the Earth's, Jupiter
    >>scatters comets and other bodies that might
    >>otherwise catastrophically collide with our planet.

    There have been FIVE, count them, FIVE major
    extinctions in the past on our planet.
    And evidence of disasterous asteroid impacts
    can be found throughout the geologic column.
    So, I think that even the great OZ of a planet
    called, "Jupiter" isn't so great at scattering
    comets and other bodies that catastrophically
    collide with our planet. Not to mention that
    astronomers have recognized over a hundred large
    asteroids whose orbits round the sun intersect
    with our planet's own orbit round the sun.
    So it's not exactly a "garden of Eden" here on
    our little world.

    >>The Solar System's position in the galaxy, the Moon's vital
    >>contribution to the Earth's rotation, the role of
    >>plate tectonics

    Plate tectonics!? A young-earth creationist's WORST
    nightmare. According to Bob Schadewald, who has attended
    numerous creationist conferences over the past two
    decades, one of the best arguments against young-earth
    creationism is that "we have irrefutible proof via
    plate tectonics that radiometric dating can provide reliable dates.
    Investigations of global plate tectonics resulted in
    a computer model of plate motions, where the direction
    component of the motion vector could be generated
    using using ordinary geologic methods, but the magnitude
    component ultimately (via magnetic striping) is based on
    radiometric dating. In recent years, numerous (hundreds,
    I think) measurements of relative plate motions have
    been made using special equipment and the Global Positioning System.
    The measurements match the predictions of the model beautifully.
    If radiometric dating doesn't work, then how does this happen?
    Why are the measurements so close to the predictions and so
    repeatable? FWIW, I gave copies of a paper on this to
    several creationists last year at International Creationist
    Conference 98, some of them long-time friends. Not *one*
    of them has made any attempt to respond. In my experience,
    when creationists hide from an argument and won't even attempt
    to respond, it means that they have retreated to their
    last resort: Deep denial. That is why I still advocate
    hammering them with this one." (Bob Schadewald)

    Bob is talking about the way the sea floor spreads from
    the center of the Atlantic with the most recent dates
    coming from where the spreading begins, and the
    oldest dates moving outward from where the spreading
    began, the dates match the expectations based on
    the measured movements of the plates via the Global
    Positioning System and land based measrements, which
    are conclusively known and proven and which cumulate
    each year, so there is no doubt that such movement is
    taking place and at what rate. Such data is "death"
    to young-earth creationism. Another similar death
    knell for creationism is the carbon-dated layers of
    a varved lake bed in Japan that go back 30,000 years,
    each deeper layer being older than the previous one,
    by a year. Or the carbon-dated tree ring series, of
    which there presently are three that go back to
    10,000 years, each individual tree ring from inner
    to outer, being carbon-dated one year older. The matches
    in all such cases attest to an age for the cosmos
    that exceeds the young-earth creationist's ages for
    the earth.

    >>-- one line of evidence after another
    >>lead Rare Earth's authors to conclude that our
    >>planetary home is quite possibly unique.

    With so much of the cosmos unexplored, I doubt
    that anyone is ready to announce with truly
    scientific satisfaction that a planet such as
    ours with intelligent life on it is necessarily "unique."
    We just don't know. But people like Colson
    apparently "do" because "the Bible tells them so."

    >>The evidence, like that reported in their book,
    >>makes the case for intelligent design just as the great
    >>scientist Isaac Newton understood it hundreds of years
    >>ago.

    What bombast. Nobody has "made" the case
    for intelligent design (see book review below).
    And certainly the authors of even the book
    that Colson is praising have made no such
    statement, but merely pointed out the relatively
    lucky circumstances in which we have found ourselves
    on this planet.

    Furthermore, speaking of Newton and praising
    his "insight," what about all of Newton's thousands
    of pages of biblical research that led him to reject
    the TRINITY, and convinced him the world was only
    a couple thousand years old, (though Newton
    admitted that the world was older than Ussher
    said, because some of the "days" of creation
    were believed by Newton to be a couple thousand
    years long). Or what about Newton's brilliant biblical
    research that led him to predict the world would end
    before our century?

    >>What's exciting is that intelligent design is now
    >>returning to science: scientists need only the
    >>openness to embrace it.

    Intelligent design is not "returning to science."
    Saying that "God did it" may induce awe in believers,
    but a scientist still wants to know HOW, and will
    investigate HOW the cosmos was formed via a series
    of steps that scientists can formulate and understand.
    Even if it never happened quite that way, a scientist
    would STILL want to know HOW the Designer came up
    with certain ideas and HOW He implemented them, step
    by step. It's that step by step knowledge that
    science is interested in, not just stopping with
    "it popped into existence." That's where the theologian's job
    ENDS and the scientist's questions BEGIN.
    HOW do you "pop" something into existence, by what means
    and steps did the Designer change mud into man, and form
    creatures from the earth? And why were things done
    THAT way rather than any OTHER?

    And why couldn't or why didn't the Designer
    make birds with light bones and curved light skulls
    and large keel bones and a host of other adaptations for
    flight, right from the start? Why start with
    obviously lizard shaped creatures with heavy bones,
    long dragging boney tails, teeth, trangular thick
    reptilian skulls, small keel bones, unfused
    wrist bones (which make maneuverability in the air
    less easy), that lack other features, like
    the small guiding feather the avula of modern birds?
    Why did the Designer in other words, work his way
    UP to modern birds (including the humming bird
    which is the only one that can fly backwards, a
    recently designed variety) instead of being able to
    create them perfect the first time? The same goes
    for many other creatures in the fossil record
    whose changes did not come "instantaneously" but
    in steps.

    I'd love to see Colson review recent book, Destiny or Chance :
    Our Solar System and Its Place in the Cosmos
    by Stuart Ross Taylor Written by a leading planetary scientist,
    this book tells the remarkable story of how our solar system came
    into existence, in other words, it's past history, step by step.
    It provides a fast-paced, non-technical and expert tour of our new
    understanding of the Earth, its planetary neighbours and other
    planetary systems. En route we discover that chance events have shaped
    the course of the history of our solar system. Dramatic collisions,
    for example, caused the tilts and spins of the planets, the extinction
    of the dinosaurs and the rise of man. For all those interested in
    understanding our solar system and its place in the cosmos, this is
    a lucid and compelling read.

    Best, Edward T. Babinski