Re: Definitions

From: David_Bowman@georgetowncollege.edu
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 23:39:38 EST

    Regarding Allen Roy's remarks:

    >But I am talking about the basic assumption of measurement, you
    >measure with an appropriate tool to fit the job to be measured. For
    >instance you don't use the width of you thumb to measure the
    >circumference of the earth. The earth is too big to be measrued
    >accurately because of the size of the thumb in comparison to the earth
    >and the margin of error in measuring by a thumb. You don't measure
    >the size of an atom with a meter stick. The stick is many orders of
    >magnatude too big. You don't measure the vast distances of the
    >universe according to your height.

    It may be quite impractical to measure the circumference of the earth
    with your thumb, an atom with a meter stick, or intergalactic distances
    with your height. But I know how one can measure the circumference of
    the earth with either a meter stick or with your height (and with a stop
    watch).

    >The same applies to radiometric dating. You must first assume that a
    >rock is old enough to be measured by whatever means of measurement you
    >expect will get the correct results. Then you do your measurments.
    >Then you compute the resulting age. BUT, that age does not and connot
    >prove that the rock old, nor that it is even that age, BECAUSE it is
    >FIRST ASSUMED that the rock is old enough to be measured as that old!
    >One of the first rules of logic is that you cannot prove what you have
    >assumed.

    I don't think your argument is justified. Of course one tries to make
    use of all the data at one's disposal in finding a rock date. Usually
    this includes using some nonradiometric clues as to a ball park order of
    magnitude estimate for the age of the rock so an appropriate dating
    technique can be applied. But this assumption is not logically
    necessary. The main reason it is usually made is for mundane and
    practical concerns relating to the amount of expense and effort gone to
    to get a date. Using nonradiometric clues for a prior order of magnitude
    age estimate of a rock allows one to avoid wasting much time, effort and
    expense in getting the actual age. Often dating a rock radiometrically
    is a tedious, time consuming, and expensive task. Because of this
    usually one doesn't want to needlessly waste resources by subjecting the
    rock to a whole battery of different dating techniques each with its own
    different usable age range of possible datable ages in the hope that
    the actual age of the rock will happen to fall in the usuable datable age
    range of one of the techniques in the battery of tests.

    Usually (as I understand it) in practice, if a dating technique is
    inappropriate for the actual age of the rock the technique just doesn't
    give an age with a usable error bar.

    For instance, suppose some technique uses a radioactive decay whose
    half-life is 10 million years, and the technology of the detection
    methods of counting the atoms of the relevant isotopes allows a decent
    estimate of the age as long as the age falls between 2% of this half-life
    and 15 half-lives. This means that the range of reasonably datable ages
    for the technique is between 200,000 yrs and 150,000,000 yrs. Now suppose
    that a rock to be dated with this method is actually only 120 years old
    because it came from a recent lava flow. Then the dating technique will
    typically *not* yield a false age in the usable range, but will give the
    inconclusive result that the age is just too young to date by that
    method. Maybe a naive application of the technique would indicate that
    the date is 70,000 yrs +/- 70,000 yrs. Since the error estimate for
    the technique includes an age of zero we see that the technique is
    just the wrong one to use on the rock. The only thing we can conclude
    from our dating method is that the rock's age is probably not any older
    than about 140,000 yrs.

    OTOH, suppose that the rock is actually 540,000,000 yrs old. Then again,
    the technique would typically not be able to arrive at an actual age. In
    this case the rock is so old that there is essentially no measurable
    amount of the parent isotope left in the sample. All that the technique
    would be able to say is that the rock is significantly older than
    150,000,000 yrs old which corresponds to the age at the usable detection
    limit of the technique. The technique would not be expected to
    give a false age (such as an age of 120,000,000 yrs). Rather, it would
    not give any usable age at all.

    Of course, sometimes the rock's age is in the correct range for the
    technique and the technique might still not give a single clean
    predicted date. Such would be the case if some *other* assumption that
    needs to hold for the technique's validity breaks down. Although it
    is possible that the technique could even be completely fooled into
    predicting an incorrect date due to some process subsequent to the rock's
    formation that messed up the results, geologists typically are
    aware of the kinds of things that could go wrong and look for evidence
    in the rock's original environmental context that those distracting
    processes might have take place. Some techniques, such as the
    isochron methods, are hard to fool in this regard. For these techniques
    disruptive events subsequent to the rock's formation typically leave a
    tell-tale signature in the data analysis that either prevents a clean
    low error bar value from being predicted for the age, or even sometimes
    allows two separate dates to be extracted--one date for the rock's
    original formation and another date for the subsequent disruptive event.

    David Bowman
    David_Bowman@georgetowncollege.edu