Re: One step nearer to cloning a human being, etc

From: Susan Brassfield (Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 17:57:26 EST

    >Reflectorites
    >
    >On Mon, 06 Mar 2000 11:47:15 -0600, Susan Brassfield wrote:
    >
    >>SJ>The responsibility, he believes, rests squarely on the shoulders
    >>>of those doctors, especially Dr. Money, who had developed an
    >>>international reputation for the "twins case." Despite the apparent
    >>>harm it was doing to the Reimer family, Money appeared bent on
    >>>seeing it through to the end. "I thought it was very ignorant for
    >>>them to think I was no longer a male because my penis was
    >>>burned off," Reimer said. "A woman who loses her breasts to cancer
    >>>doesn't (become) any less of a woman." ... [A horrific example of
    >>>what happens when scientists are captured by a theory which
    >>>they want to believe and ignore the facts.]
    >
    >SB>I agree. This, of course, is an excellent illustration of the fact that
    >>people don't choose their sexual orientation. You are born one way and you
    >>are stuck with it! Religious moralizing only causes psychological damage.
    >>Suicide rates among homosexual teens is much higher than among "normal"
    >>adolescents.
    >
    >[...]
    Stephen Jones:

    > Susan is here confusing two things: biological maleness (and femaleness)
    >and sexual orientation. The first is in-built *biology* but the second is
    >(apart maybe from some very special cases) a learned *preference*.

    ROFL!!! So when did you learn your preference?

    >Homosexuals are being successfully re-oriented to heterosexuality. But
    >sexual reassignment cases like David Reimer aren't being successfully
    >reassigned.

    the successful reorientation stories are mostly propaganda. I've never
    personally talked to any homosexual who would ever consider attempting such
    a thing any more than *I* would attempt a conversion to lesbianism.

    >*Being* a homosexual is not a sin in the Bible. *Practicing* homosexuality
    >is.

    yeah, yeah, yeah. I've heard this garbage before.

    It doesn't begin to explain the consistent campaign of cruelty toward
    homosexuals carried on by the religious right.

    Susan

    For if there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing
    of life as in hoping for another and in eluding the implacable grandeur of
    this one.
    --Albert Camus

    http://www.telepath.com/susanb/