Re: One step nearer to cloning a human being, etc

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 09:28:06 EST

    Reflectorites

    On Tue, 07 Mar 2000 16:57:26 -0600, Susan Brassfield wrote:

    >>SB>I agree. This, of course, is an excellent illustration of the fact that
    >>>people don't choose their sexual orientation. You are born one way and you
    >>>are stuck with it! Religious moralizing only causes psychological damage.
    >>>Suicide rates among homosexual teens is much higher than among "normal"
    >>>adolescents.
    >
    >[...]
    >
    >SJ>Susan is here confusing two things: biological maleness (and femaleness)
    >>and sexual orientation. The first is in-built *biology* but the second is
    >>(apart maybe from some very special cases) a learned *preference*.

    SB>ROFL!!! So when did you learn your preference?

    By my early teens. I had a very deep (non-sexual) relationship with another
    boy. When we broke up, it was like two lovers parting. I came from a
    broken home and it would have been easy for me to become a homosexual.
    Fortunately, there was a lot of social pressure back then in the 1960's
    against homosexuality, and so both he and I became heterosexuals.

    >SJ>Homosexuals are being successfully re-oriented to heterosexuality. But
    >>sexual reassignment cases like David Reimer aren't being successfully
    >>reassigned.

    SB>the successful reorientation stories are mostly propaganda.

    Nevertheless, I understand there is a large, successful Christian homosexual
    reorientation program which has helped thousands of homosexuals. If
    Susan wants more details I will try to find them for her.

    SB>I've never
    >personally talked to any homosexual who would ever consider attempting such
    >a thing any more than *I* would attempt a conversion to lesbianism.

    That Susan does not personally know any homosexuals who would
    consider heterosexual re-orientation, is hardly an argument that there aren't
    any.

    A quick search on AltaVista turned up the following book by a former
    homosexual who was apparently successfully reoriented:

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/080105186X/ref=sim_books/103-3906474-6046249

    [...]

    Setting Love in Order : Hope and Healing for the Homosexual
    by Mario Bergner

    [...]