Re: Curious

From: Susan B (susan-brassfield@ou.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 20:04:36 EST

    At 05:43 PM 2/14/00 -0500, you wrote:
    >I'm curious how ID opponents resolve one question. Some people believe
    >catastrophic events caused the big extinction's, and even the most skeptical
    >accept such an event probably caused the dinosaur extinction, which would
    >have included most if not all of the more complex organisms. (In this case
    >defining complexity as those organisms with the most complex central nervous
    >systems.)

    it destroyed a lot of the *larger* organisms.

    >Yet Nature didn't seem to have started again from scratch.
    >Organisms which appeared at that time had even more complex central
    >nervous systems than the organisms they replaced.

    upon what are you basing this remark? It's not clear from what I read that
    we are more complex than dinosaurs. Our own order mammalia was still about
    the size of a shrew at that time and our species was 65 million years in the
    future. It's fairly clear that we evolved from those little shrew-like
    creatures.

    >It's as though catastrophes can
    >wipe out organisms, but it can't wipe out complexity -- or information.

    the information is contained in the genes. If the population is gone the
    information is gone. However, through mutation the genes can "make more."

    >Just curious whether Darwinists have a naturalistic explanation

    We are mammals. We have an enormous amount in common with all other mammals.
    At the end of the cretacious a lot of new niches opened up. A lot of new
    species evolved to fill them. There are fossils to document nearly all of
    the above.

    Susan
    --------
    Peace is not the absence of conflict--it is the presence of justice.
    --Martin Luther King, Jr.
    Please visit my website:
    http://www.telepath.com/susanb