re: Cambrian speculation

From: amka@vcode.com
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 11:13:44 EST

    Susan gave us this tidbit:<br>
    \"· the largest study on the [Cambrian Explosion] using gene sequences, recently completed at Penn State. The research suggests that animals have been evolving steadily into different species for at least 1200 million years, which challenges ... the Cambrian Explosion [theory] that proposes the sudden appearance of most major animal groups, known as phyla, 530 million years ago.\"<br>
    To which Iām replying:<br>
    This is one of those anomalies. As I understand it, the Cambrian Explosion is not a theory that explains anything but an observation of the data to be had: in this case, the fossil record that clearly shows an explosion of diversity. The paleontologists knew this was an unusual discovery that tended to weigh in against Darwinism. <br>
    The genetic study has only backed up the morphology and provided no easy solution as Darwinists had hoped (ie a key gene that simplified the process). The old backup is used: Not enough data in the fossil record. If we had a more complete record surely it would provide the missing evidences and there would be no anomaly. Perhaps it is the assumption at work which is wrong, not the data. <br>
    Perfect circles with eccentric orbits and epicycles.<br>
    Ami Chopine<br>