Re: Whose 'science'?

From: Cliff Lundberg (cliff@noe.com)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2000 - 13:12:57 EST

    Stephen E. Jones wrote:

    >[Note the clever use of words by Scott contrastinge atheism with young-Earth
    >creationism, as though they are the only two alternatives. By admitting that
    >there is a "debate between theism and materialism" she "legitimate", tacitly
    >concedes they are opposites. But then she says any such debate between the
    >two "shouldn't take place in the classroom", even thought materialism is
    >to continue to be taught unopposed "in the classroom".]

    Intramural battles are the nastiest of all. But where are the battles between
    YEC and ID? I've never read of any such debates at all. This is why people
    think it's the same old religionists doing their same old thing.

    If 'materialists' are the enemies of ID, who are the friends of ID? Will the
    average religious person embrace the agnostic view that 'Well, it might
    have been God, it might have been green scaly space aliens, who knows?'

    'ID'--is it really that good a term? In common parlance people speak of
    'designer clothes' and 'designer furniture', meaning custom creations
    by established artisans. In this sense, 'designer universe' sounds silly,
    it implies a universe that is particularly chic.

    Maybe the 'I', the 'intelligent' is the important thing. So a more logical
    construction, making 'intelligent' the substantive part, might be
    'designing intelligence'. But that's no good, because it shifts the focus
    back to 'who or what is this intelligence?' I must presume that ID
    advocates much prefer a construction that puts the emphasis on the
    inexplicability (thus far) of complexities in nature, and avoids an
    emphasis on what they are really about.

    --Cliff Lundberg  ~  San Francisco  ~  cliff@noe.com