A genetic marker for suicide?

From: Bertvan@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 17:31:15 EST

    Susan said:
    >. Also it's pretty darned
    >obvious when schizophrenia is the problem, and I'm pretty sure there's a
    >test for it.

    Hi Susan,
    Please tell me more about this test for schizophrenia-which you are pretty
    sure exists!!

    Susan:
    >again, there are several "regular" physical diseases that have no test and
    >the doctor must rely on the patient's report

    Bertvan:
    Are there any which are not apparent after an autopsy?

    Susan:
    >here the report is talking about severe mental illness--not the kind of
    >neurosis that is treatable by talk therapy. The report is talking about
    >people who would have been institutionalized 30 years ago, but are now
    >living reasonably normal lives because of their medication.

    Bertvan:
    Neurosis might be treatable by talk therapy but is it curable?
    Are drugged mental patients living reasonably normal lives, or are they
    merely drugged and docile. Personally I don't know the answer, but I
    wouldn't rely upon psychiatrists or drug companies for the answer. Without
    the protests of ex-mental patients psychiatry would still be performing
    lobotomies. They do still administer Shock Therapy in some states. There
    are many psychiatrists and organizations of ex-mental patients who claim
    such treatments, including drugs, merely produce brain damage. Following are
    just a few of them.

    http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/8568/
    http://www.oikos.org/antipsicen.htm
    http://www.mindfreedom.org/
    http://members.xoom.com/psych_books/index.htm
    http://scholefieldhouse.com/mv/
    http://www.mentalhealthfacts.com/index.html

    Susan:
    >except that the drugs uesed to treat schizophrenia and psychosis work. Why
    >is that I wonder?
    >because the drugs work. Why does that make this jerk so mad?

    Again , Susan, anyone who disagrees with you on any subject is a jerk, right?
     Why do I care?
    I defend anyone's right to express a view. People in possession of the truth
    don't have to resort to ridicule and name-calling.

    Bertvan
      http://members.aol.com/bertvan