Re: A genetic marker for suicide?

From: Stephen E. Jones (sejones@iinet.net.au)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 16:39:30 EST

    Reflectorites

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2000 10:22:33 -0800, Cliff Lundberg wrote:

    [...]

    CL>They'll soon isolate the genetic marker for creationism. Only things I
    >don't agree with will have genetic markers. Things I like will be deemed
    >sort of basic and normal, with no special marker.

    Cliff hits the nail on the head!

    In fact scientists did recently claim they had found a "God-module" in
    the brain, to which Phil Johnson retorted "You can rest assured they
    will never find a "materialist-module"!

    "Two points of principle are worth emphasis. The first is that the usually
    supposed logical inevitability of the theory of evolution by natural selection
    is quite incorrect. There is no inevitability, just the reverse. It is only when
    the present asexual model is changed to the sophisticated model of sexual
    reproduction accompanied by crossover that the theory can be made to
    work, even in the limited degree to be discussed .... This presents an
    insuperable problem for the notion that life arose out of an abiological
    organic soup through the development of a primitive replicating system. A
    primitive replicating system could not have copied itself with anything like
    the fidelity of present-day systems .... With only poor copying fidelity, a
    primitive system could carry little genetic information without L [the
    mutation rate] becoming unbearably large, and how a primitive system
    could then improve its fidelity and also evolve into a sexual system with
    crossover beggars the imagination." (Hoyle F., "Mathematics of
    Evolution", [1987], Acorn Enterprises: Memphis TN, 1999, p20)