Re: A genetic marker for suicide?

From: MikeBGene@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 16:11:19 EST

    In a message dated 2/8/00 5:50:41 AM Dateline Standard Time,
    Susan-Brassfield@ou.edu writes:

    >The mind/body connection is rather obvious in some cases. Schizophrenia and
    >depression are often successfully treated with drugs. Homosexuality is not
    >considered a pathology by the APA but it does seem to run in families as
    >does alcoholism. The genetic marker thing is probably part of the Human
    >Genome Project which is already helping scientists understand the human
    >body better than they ever have before.

    Lot's of things run in families - political preferences, wealth, religious
    belief,
    favorite football teams, etc. Running in a familiy is no indicator you have
    a genetic trait.

    >Other than the fact that you hate psychiatry and science, I don't see what
    >your problem is here. Shall we not diagnose and treat people who are ill?

    See the movie GATTACA for a nice illustration of the problem here.

    Mike