Secular humanism

From: James Mahaffy (mahaffy@mtcnet.net)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2000 - 03:49:06 EST

    > >MikeBGene:
    > >
    > >. . . If it turns out the Kansas decision
    > >was inconsequential, all that talk about the crucial importance of
    > >macroevolution
    > >in a state-wide standardized test is going to be exposed as empty
    > >rhetoric. It will be interesting to see if any scientists ever get around to
    > >scientifically establishing the importance of macroevolution on standardized
    > >tests. Of course, why take the risk when the rhetoric "sounds" so good?

    To which Susan replied:

    > the reason the Kansas decision was not inconsequential, is because it is
    > step toward a state religion--the Christian religion, specifically
    > fundamentalist protestantism. Fundamentalist Christian protestants are
    > not
    > in a majority in this country and even if they were, the Constitution
    > promises freedom of religion for all the many religions practiced in
    > this
    > country and also the right to have freedom *from* religion.

    Susan,

    I really should not be replying to this forum, but an evolution list
    from Calvin College should have more voices from a Christian perspective
    (see John Rylander's post of Dec 5th of last year at
    (http://www.calvin.edu/archive/evolution/199912/0058.html).

    The concern of parents in the heartland of this country is not that we
    are establishing a Christian or Protestant religion in the schools.
    Rather the judicial concern of non-establishment of religion in the
    education has resulted in an attempt teach their sons and daughters
    without the moral framework and values that are a vital part of their
    beliefs. Rather than having a neutral education, their sons and
    daughters are being taught a secular humanism, which is just as much a
    religion. If you are concerned with the issue Susan you should really
    read some of the works of a first class evangelical scholar, George
    Marsden and realize that not that long ago, the major public
    universities were concerned about the morals of their students and only
    recently have moved from Protestant values to established non belief.
    Check sometime and see if it is not true that less than hundred years
    ago the University in your state (aren't you from Kansas or somewhere in
    the midwest) probably required chapel attendance of its students. While
    there never was any movement then toward "State religion," - nor is
    there now - there is a valid concern that values antagonistic to their
    faith is being taught by the secular humanism in the elementary and high
    schools. Unfortunately we can not move the public schools to where they
    were (sympathetic to instilling the values of their communities in their
    schools), but that is also why home schooling and vouchers are becoming
    increasingly more attractive. As a member of a protestant denomination
    (Chriatian Reformed), we believe strongly enough in teaching from a
    Christian perspective that we pay twice for education supporting (in
    addition to our tax dollars) for a good and strong system where courses
    are taught from a Christian perspective. A system, by the way, that
    fostered the likes of Alvin Plantinga and George Marsden. Marsden in
    fact argues cogently in another book that the public university is open
    to Marxism and a host of other perspectives but now so hostile to
    scholarship from a christian perspective that there is the need for a
    Christian Univeristy. There are excellent undergrad Institutions but
    with the exception of the Catholic University Notre Dame (where both
    Plantinga and Marsden teach), there are few institutions that foster
    Christian scholarship. I suspect we have overlooked the SDA (sorry Art)
    but I am not sure how much their schools really are Universities. And I
    suspect their is a history of considering SDA almost a sect, although my
    impression is that much of the grass roots of that denomination is
    probalby evangelical.

    Susan the problem is not that our highs schools are moving toward state
    sponsered relgion (as you suggest), but that a secular humanism is being
    increasingly taught even in places that have thought their own public
    schools were teaching values that reflected those of the community. Yes
    it often comes to a head in values parents see as taught in science
    classrooms, but it is the hostile secular values that parents are
    objecting to.

    -- James and Florence Mahaffy    712 722-0381 (Home)227 S. Main St.              712 722-6279 (Office)Sioux Center, IA 51250