Re: "Scientific" position on philosophical questions

Biochmborg@aol.com
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 00:32:03 EDT

In a message dated 7/10/99 4:03:01 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
rylander@prolexia.com writes:

> As you well know if you've been following my former discussion with Steve,
> applaud your making the point about methodological versus metaphysical
> commitments. :^> It's so important, and so misunderstood. Thanks.

Thank you. I so seldom get public support for my arguements on this list
that I welcome and appreciate what little I do get. It means that much more
to me.

> One caveat, though: the standard interpretation of physics does dispense
> with determinism, unless one means (a) probabilistic determinism, or
> similarly (b) determinism wrt quantum states (versus classical states).

That's true, but when you move beyond the quantum world -- even in physics --
determinism reasserts itself.

> Or do you accept a deterministic interpretation of quantum theory? That's
> unusual, but fair enough.

I certainly don't rule it out.

Kevin L. O'Brien