Re: "Scientific" position on philosophical questions

Susan B (susan-brassfield@ou.edu)
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 17:23:00 -0500 (CDT)

At 10:41 AM 7/11/99 EDT, you wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>I think we have a difference of opinion, but I'm having trouble figuring out
>what it is. As I've said elsewhere, I doubt either of us will convert the
>other; the most we can hope for is to understand each other.

I think it's because he is showing you that you are wrong in such simple,
clear and logical ways that you are having a great deal of trouble hanging
on to your cherished notions.

Keven wrote:
>>Science simply chooses to restrict itself to one narrow set of causes; in
>doing so, >it is not saying that those are the only possible causes, only
>that from the >evidence they are the most probable.
>
>Bertvan:
>I don't disagree with all that. But if all science can say is that young
>earth creationists are probably wrong, what business does the supreme court
>have declaring it can't be discussed in front of school children. :-)

because there is no evidence at all to support it and lots of evidence
which contradicts it. There is no constitutional reason that the mythology
of one religion should be taught in a publicly funded school and not the
mythology of all other religions. To only teach the mythology of one
religion and not the others is establishing a government religion. To try to
teach all the mythologies of all the religions in science class would be
rediculous.

Of course, people who long for the government to establish a required
religion to the exclusion of all the others are arrogant enough to believe
that that religion will be their own.

Susan
--------
Life is short, but it is also very wide.
http://www.telepath.com/susanb