Re: diatoms and the global flood

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 06:11:47 -0500

At 08:15 PM 9/27/98 -0600, Karen G. Jensen wrote:

>Dear Glenn,
>
>Somehow we got off onto evaporites. If you really envision these as
>subaerial evaporative deposits, where do you get the vast amount of NaCl,
>or CaSO4, or other salts?

from sea water.

Why are they separate, instead of in a mixture
>such as we find in the ocean today?

They were mixed in the water but they deposit out in slightly different
solubilities leaving a partially graded deposit. But there are mixtures
like the varved, Castile/Bell Canyon formation of West Texas which has
calcite/salt etc

To make the great gypsum deposits, or
>trona layers, you would have to have very large lakes of very saline water
>evaporating largely undisturbed for many centuries. Is this realistic?

Yes if the earth is old.
glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood