RE: ocean salt

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 06:09:31 -0500

Hi Karen,

At 08:37 PM 9/27/98 -0600, Karen G. Jensen wrote:

>Kevin O'Brien wrote Sun, 27 Sep 1998 15:53:27 -0600
>
>>salt does not precipitate, it crystallizes. What this means is that even
>>if a supersaturated solution could exist long enough to produce
>>crystallized salt, only the amount necessary to bring the solution to
>>saturation levels would crystallize out. The rest of the salt would remain
>>in solution
>
>That is in interesting problem. According to calculations I have seen, the
>present influx of Na+ from rivers into the ocean would provide the amount
>of Na+ observed in the oceans in about 50 million years (less time if the
>rate of influx was ever faster, or if there were sources besides the
>rivers, or if the oceans started off with some Na+ already). If there is
>no way it could ever crystalize when the whole is not at saturation levels,
>maybe the oceans have not been receiving salt for very long.

I had a long letter exchange with Steve Austin about the salt problem.
Salt is removed from the sea at the mid-oceanic ridge. This mechanism is
underestimated by Austin and I wrote him a letter last year which he never
responded to. It solves the salt in the sea problem. But inspite of that
I bet the YECs continue to teach that the salt in the sea is a problem.

see http://www.isource.net/~grmorton/salt.htm

The reason that I feel that they will continue teaching the same thing is
that is what they did with the canopy. In 1979 I published an article in
the Creation Research Soc. Quarterly which calculated the surface
temperature of the earth with a canopy. I calculated that the temperature
would have been above the boiling point of water. I got lots of flack for
that article, but in 1990 two men from the Institute for Creation Research