Re: Snails in the Loess

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 18:27:26 -0500

At 09:01 AM 9/10/98 -0700, Janet Miller wrote:
> In a recent posting in response to something I
>wrote, Pim van Meurs chided me for not taking proper
>note of data offered by Glenn Morton concerning the
>distribution of snails in the loess. I meant to post a
>reply, but now I can't find Pim's article. I may have
>deleted it inadvertently, so I'll have to define a new
>subject for this purpose.
> The gist of his posting was that (according to
>data cited by Morton) the various varieties of snails
>in the loess are distributed (in relation to rivers,
>etc.) exactly as one would expect according to the
>uniformitarian model. He then challenged me to explain
>that fact in the light of Petersen's theory.
> Well, of course, I can't. I would question the
>evidence instead. Certainly I do not suggest that
>Morton shaded the data (or the interpretation thereof)
>in order to make an agreeable point, but that unseemly
>parctice is not unknown, the pressure on authors in
>academia being what it is.

Janet, since I am NOT in academia I have no such pressures on me. Of course
since evidence doesn't mean anything to you, even showing you my pay stub
which comes from an oil company rather than an educational instituions
would not likely persuade you that I don't work in Academia.

> I wonder if either van Meurs or Morton would care to comment on those
"old river gravels".

I will as soon as you comment and explain why the 4th dimension doesn't
work under the ocean and works best along northern hemispheric rivers. But
as it is, I don't intend to perform for you when you won't bother dealing
with what I put out there.

And by the way, Janet, I don't believe those gravels you mention really
exist. You are obviously defending your 'authority' as a scientific
outsider and your velikovskian colleagues probably put enough pressure on
you so that you are merely saying what they want you to. You know they
won't publish your articles in Chronos if you stray from the party line.
If you were to challenge their orthodoxy you would not be in good standing
with them. So whatever evidence you cite, I know that you are citing it
simply so you can go to the Velikovskian club meetings.
glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood