numerology

Cliff Lundberg (cliff@noevalley.com)
Sat, 01 Aug 1998 13:34:34 -0700

Vernon Jenkins wrote:

> May I suggest that these truths - which represent a standing miracle -
> must be now be acknowledged and their significance urgently discussed;
> they are not there by chance, but by divine edict.

The numeric significance of letters and words was well known to
literate Hebrews and was utilized by poets and punsters, as well as
numerologists. Why couldn't Moses or whoever have consciously arranged
the text to have some numeric symmetries?

This reminds me of the current film "Pi" which involves a mathematician
and Jewish scholars. Don't bother seeing it. It's arty, sketchy, and has
nothing of scientific or historical interest. It's not even about pi,
it's about theta, the golden proportion. It doesn't work, on any level.

-- Cliff Lundberg ~ San Francisco ~ cliff@noevalley.com