RE: Putting evolution to work on the assembly line

John E. Rylander (rylander@prolexia.com)
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 11:25:09 -0500

Pim,

No intelligence was required initially? How would you get -that- out of
this article?

If instead your point is meant only as speculative natural atheology, that's
conceivable, but seems more like a (counter-intuitive) presumption than any
evidentially-based assertion. (I was fascinated to find that even E. O.
Wilson, Mr. Sociobiology himself, considers himself a deist.)

If I were independently convinced of the truth of atheism (say, by the
problem of evil; or because I thought Ockham's razor required me to be an
atheist unless I had -proof- to the contrary), of course, then I'd probably
argue the same thing. But since I'm not....

--John

-----Original Message-----
From: Pim van Meurs [mailto:entheta@eskimo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 1998 10:41 PM
To: 'Gary Collins'; evolution@calvin.edu; rylander@prolexia.com
Subject: RE: Putting evolution to work on the assembly line

Gary Collins:
The article states that 'No intelligence made the designs. They just
evolved.'
This is true to a point, of course; but surely it is the intelligence of
those who designed the software and the hardware (ie the workstations
on which the software was run) which makes the whole thing possible. This is
a factor which is sometimes overlooked.>>

So perhaps intelligence is required initially but then it can freely evolve
?

Or perhaps no intelligence was even required initially and it freely evolved
?