RE: Evolution!! (D. Howes)

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 06:17:55 -0500

At 03:20 PM 7/22/98 +1000, you wrote:

>Hey! That wasn't me that said "rising flood waters"!
>
>I have a question related to that though, how do layers of sediment form? I
>still remember about 5 years ago when my younger brother did an experiment
>at school to show how layers formed, and they got a jar, 3/4 filled it with
>all different types of soil and sand and bits of sticks and rock, then
>filled the rest up with water. They put a lid on the jars and had to shake
>them for ages and once it was totally mixed up they left them on the window
>sills of their class room. The next time they were in that room, a few days
>later, each type of soil had formed its own layer, with all the sticks and
>rocks at the top. How on earth would this happen slowly?

The sedimentary rocks are NOT all shaken up at once. If you took all the
sediment and mixed it thoroughly with the ocean waters, you would have a
mud that the fish couldn't live in. So, in addition to killing the fish
with acid, the global flood would kill them with mud in their gills.

Today if you look at modern depositional systems, sand is being deposited
along Texas beaches, more mud is being deposited along Louisiana. That is
a separation and sorting process that is occurring slowly. If at some time
the Mississippi finds its way to Southern texas and creates estuaries and
marshes down there, then mud will be on top of today's sand.
glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood