Re: Glenn wrote:

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Thu, 21 May 1998 17:46:50 -0500

At 06:41 AM 5/21/98 -0500, Ron Chitwood wrote:

>On this we agree absolutely.

Finally, agreement. :-)

>As a Bible believer, how do you reconcile
>what Peter said in II Peter 2:5?

To refresh everyones memory here is what II Peter 2:5 says:

5 And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a
preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the
ungodly;

The entire argument revolves around the meaning of the word which was
translated 'world'. The greek word is 'kosmos' which did not have the same
meaning as our 'cosmos'. kosmos primarily means 'world order' or 'world
structure'. Strongs lists it as:

2889. kosmos, kos'-mos; prob. from the base of G2865; orderly arrangement,
i.e. decoration; by impl. the world (in a wide or narrow sense, includ. its
inhab., lit. or fig. [mor.]):--adorning, world

One could legitimately translate this verse as :

5 And spared not the old orderly arrangement, but saved Noah the eighth
person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the orderly
arrangments of the ungodly;

This certainly means something different from what the global flood
advocates say the verse means. You can't use this verse to prove the
global flood. It simply means that the system set up by the ungodly was
destroyed.

>It seems to me you are placing trust in the thoughts of man rather than the
>Bible. You wouldn't be the only one. Man generically has been wrong so
>many times in his history. It is difficult for me to imagine placing trust
>in his current pronouncements.

I disagree. I am placing trust in the greek and hebrew meanings of the
words. If you place your trust in the english meanings of the words used
you may or may not derive correct theology from them. English words don't
always have the same meaning or connotation that their counterparts in
other languages do.

And as to men being wrong, what happened to the theologians who determined
from the Scripture that the sun revolved around the earth? How did they go
wrong? Weren't they convinced that their Scriptural interpretation was
correct?
glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood