Re: Provine Ridicules TE's

Bill Hamilton (hamilton@predator.cs.gmr.com)
Tue, 03 Mar 1998 13:15:26 -0500

At 10:34 AM 3/3/98 -0700, Terry M. Gray wrote:

>As for Will Provine--he's only acting out his religious views as
>consistantly as he can. While I believe that his opinions are an erroneous
>extension of his evolutionary views, he is being more wholistic in his
>worldview than many Christians. A motto in the circles I walk in is "Life
>Is Religion". All that one does is an expression of his or her religious
>orientation. Will Provine is doing that with his religion just like all of
>us were made to do, do, and should do.

Agreed. My only complaint is that he (and Dawkins as well) sometimes give
the impression that they believe that atheism is the only honest
philosophical position for a scientist, or that their atheism is supported
by the science they do. A more honest atheist is Chris Colby, who used to
be (maybe still is) active on talk.origins. He said once that he wished
the evolutionary biology he studied supported his atheism, but it didn't.
He was an atheist because that was his personal disposition.

--------
Bill Hamilton
Staff Research Engineer
Chassis and Vehicle Systems