Re: Provine Ridicules TE's

Bill Hamilton (hamilton@predator.cs.gmr.com)
Tue, 03 Mar 1998 13:56:47 -0500

At 10:34 AM 3/3/98 -0700, Terry M. Gray wrote:
>While I won't accuse anyone participating in this thread of this, I do know
>that Phil Johnson thinks this....

>It seems that an underlying feeling in comments like
>
>"true naturalistic evolutionists hate IDTers as much as the hate TE's."
>
>is that theistic evolutionists are TE's not because they think that it is
>the best way of thinking about the relationship between faith and science
>on the issue of origins, but because TE's somehow want to appease
>naturalistic evolutionists with their acceptance of evolution.

While I appreciate some of Phil's achievements -- such as being able to
entice people like Michael Ruse and Will Provine to debate him more than
once -- I have never understood why he uses this tactic. Someone once said
that it's unwise to ascribe ulterior motives to those you disagree with.
Phil has succeeded in building some bridges to atheistic naturalists -- and
I continue to pray that the Lord will use Phil's efforts to win some of
these folks over -- while producing considerable frustration on the part of
Christians who accept theistic evolution not to appease anyone (if that's
the purpose it hasn't worked :-)) but because it's an interpretation that
honors the data as they understand it while honoring the Lord they worship.
--------
Bill Hamilton
Staff Research Engineer
Chassis and Vehicle Systems