Re: Evolution: Facts, Fallacies, Crisis

Lloyd Eby (leby@nova.umuc.edu)
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 21:49:14 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, Greg Billock wrote:

> Have you read _One Long Argument_ by Mayr? He gives 5 aspects of
> evolutionary theory as set forth by Darwin. In my experience, the
> biggest confusions in popular usage are between four very different
> theories.

No, I haven't read it. Thanks for the recommendation, and I'll do my best
to get to it soon.

(snip)

> Third, there is the theory of common descent, which is a part
> of the body of evolutionary theory, but is often what anti-
> evolutionists object to..."I don't believe people came from
> monkeys!" This is an assumption for most modern work on the
> subject.

I was aware that this is so, but I couldn't figure out how to put it into
my discussion of the 8 points. Notice that I said "At least 8 ..." I agree
with you that it's quite important, but it didn't seem necessary to the
point(s) I was trying to make.

> Fourth, there is the group of theories about how common descent
> (and current evolution) took place--which forces drove it, what
> their relative importance is, what limiting factors are there,
>

> > 5. 3 + 4 together (i.e., mutation + natural selection, in
> > whatever way these may be understood) are the cause of *some*
> > (but not all) changes in biological organisms.
>
> This is the neo-Darwinist position.

I don't think so. Anyway, it seems to me that the neo-Darwinist position
is my #6 below. Or, at least Dawkins seems to conclude that both my #6 and
#7 are true.

> > Group-B:
> > 6. 3 + 4 together (i.e., mutation + natural selection) can
> > account for *all* changes in biological organisms (i.e., can
> > account for all speciation and the coming into being of all
> > biological differences and biological structures, after the
> > first living cell appears).
>
> No evolutionists believe this.

As I read Dawkins, he seems to hold this view. At least he seems to hold
that these are the central or primary points.

> > 7. 3 + 4 together (i.e., mutation + natural selection) are the
> > only possible (or intellectually credible) account for all
> > changes in biological organisms.
>
> Or this.

Again, Dawkins seems to me to say this. Or, at any rate, he says that the
current understanding of evolution (whatever that mayŠ8)ž7-÷×