Re: Evolution: Facts, Fallacies, Crisis

Lloyd Eby (leby@nova.umuc.edu)
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 13:14:43 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, Ron Chitwood wrote:

> I disagree totally with your conclusions the 1 thru 5 are factual.
> Macro-evolution has never, repeat, never, been observed in a laboratory.
> Micro-evolution has. To me, it takes a stupendous leap of faith to jump
> from the observable facts of changes within a species to assume it can be
> applied in a jump from one species to another. I really do appreciate
> your dissertation on evolution and look forward to a meaningful dialogue on
> it.

I'm sorry, but I don't think you were paying attention. I did not say
anything about the distinction between micro and macro evolution. In my
points 2 through 5 I say that mutation occurs (and I don't say anything
about change of species -- my point would bve satisfied if only a minor
varietal change occurred), that natural selection occurs (again, I don't
say anything about how large a change occurs through natural selection --
the finch-beak modifications that Darwin observed would satisfy my claim),
and that these two account for *some* changes. Again, my claim is
satisfied if *any* change occurs through these methods, and I take it that
the finch-beak or moth-color modifications do satisfy those claims.

Lloyd Eby