Re: Faith, resurrection, and disciples

Bill Hamilton (hamilton@predator.cs.gmr.com)
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 09:55:45 -0400

At 2:10 PM -0500 6/11/97, Wesley R. Elsberry wrote:
>If you'll read the original, you'll find that Brian Harper had
>made an assertion that faith without resurrection was
>worthless. The example of the Sadducees shows that this need
>not be true. The relevance is with respect to Harper's
>assertion.

(with apologies to Brian if I have misread him)

I imagine Brian was referring to or basing his comments on 1 Cor 15:12-17.
In particular, 1 Cor 15:14 and 15:17 say

"and if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is vain, your faith
also is vain"

"and if Christ has not been raised, your faith is worthless; you are still
in your sins"

Of course it's possible for another religion to have no concept of
afterlife or resurrection and yet have faith that what it teaches is true.
The Sadduccees are proof of that. But from a Christian point of view, the
resurrection of Jesus Christ is central. Without that little else, if
anything, makes sense.

Bill Hamilton
William E. Hamilton, Jr, Ph.D. | Staff Research Engineer
Chassis and Vehicle Systems | General Motors R&D Center | Warren, MI
William_E._Hamilton@notes.gmr.com
810 986 1474 (voice) | 810 986 3003 (FAX) | whamilto@mich.com (home email)