Re: NTSE #11

Bill Hamilton (hamilton@predator.cs.gmr.com)
Fri, 7 Mar 1997 14:37:30 -0500

I wrote

Pim van Meurs wrote:

>True, which is why appeal to a supernatural force has little scientific
>value.
>Because any flaw can be explained as "we do not understand what the
>designer
>had in mind". Perhaps he/she was sadistic or just playfull in having eyes
>of the flaunder move all over the body or route the urinary tract through
>the prostate gland of men ?
>
>If anything else Gould's arguments and your response show perfectly the
>enormous chasm between scientific approach and religious faith.

Hmm, I think it shows that the "God would/would not have done x" kind of
argument is not very useful, whether it comes from an agnostic or a
believer.
I don't mind Gould looking curiousities in design that may seem to be
imperfections, and I don't deny that they may imply common descent. I just
reject claiming that an intelligent designer wouldn't have done that way.
I have heard similar arguments from creationists -- responding to a TE'sd
argument with "God wouldn't have done it that way". Neither argument is
very sueful from a scientific point of view, and both arguments make
theological assumptions the arguer is in no position to make.

Bill Hamilton
William E. Hamilton, Jr, Ph.D. | Staff Research Engineer
Chassis and Vehicle Systems | General Motors R&D Center | Warren, MI
William_E._Hamilton@notes.gmr.com
810 986 1474 (voice) | 810 986 3003 (FAX) | whamilto@mich.com (home email)