Re: NTSE #11

Brian D Harper (harper.10@osu.edu)
Fri, 07 Mar 1997 14:05:16 -0500

At 08:55 AM 3/7/97 -0400, Pim wrote:
[..]

>If anything else Gould's arguments and your response show perfectly the
>enormous chasm between scientific approach and religious faith.

Really? Consider this:
a) most scenarios for the origin of life require a primordial soup
b) there is no evidence that that soup ever existed
c) there are good reasons and evidence for saying it didn't exist

So, the true believers accept not only without evidence but in the
face of contrary evidence.

But this is beside the point, which was that Gould for some reason
thinks he can use a theological argument when it suits him but will
not allow Paul the same priveledge.

Brian Harper
Associate Professor
Applied Mechanics
The Ohio State University

"Should I refuse a good dinner simply because I
do not understand the process of digestion?"
-- Oliver Heaviside