Re: Did Adam Evolve?

Glenn Morton (grmorton@gnn.com)
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 23:13:36

Dario Giraldo wrote:

>At 06:00 AM 1/23/97, Glenn Morton wrote:
>>
>>Who said they were not smart enough to use the tools they made? Maybe a
>>preacher said that but no anthropologist has said that. Prior to the
>>discovery of tool use with a species one can raise the question of
>>intelligence. Once you find them making the tools, then their ability to
>>use them is answered.
>>

>My point was to highlight the holes in evolution theory which changes dates
>from year to year as to when man 'evolved' enough to be 'smart' and use
>rocks to chip rocks and develop tools. Since the 60's we have gone from
>30,000 to 2,500,000 years. Hardly a minor adjustment.

Dario, You need to study some anthropology before making statements like that.
We have not gone from 30,000 to 2.5 million years since the 60's. I was
taking an anthropology course at that time and that is not the case. Ashley
Montagu wrote:

"First attributed to Zinjanthropus [australopithecus], Leakey now believes
that these artifacts are the handiwork of another ealry man, to be described
below. Since there is no stone at the Olduvai I level at which these
artifacts were found, the materials from which the tools were made must have
been brought from elsewhere. The presence of 176 flakes indicates that the
tools were manufactured on the spot.
"Zinjanthropus, according to the potassium-argon dating arrived at by
Drs. G.H. Curtis and J.Evernden of the University of California, dates back to
1.75 million years." Ashley Montagu, Man: His First Two Millin Years, (Delta,
1969), p. 43-44.

Zinjanthropus was dated with the stone tools to 1.75 million years ago in
1959. Thus we have gone from 1.75 million years to 2.5 million years in the
past 35 years. This is not much of an adjustment. From what author did you
get your facts?

>Moreover, every
>time that some civilation is unearthed, it shows that man had some pretty
>good and advanced methods. Maybe they didn't fly around but they should
>could carry stones and balance them better than we can do today.

What civilizations are you referring to?

>I remember just this week watching some DP scientists speaking on ways to
>capture data and keep it for a thousand years. The best method: ceramic
>based storage. Does cuneiform ring any bells.

So? Do you think the Sumerians considered that they were creating a means of
transmitting their knowledge of wheat sales for the future to look at?

>And no, a preacher didn't tell me this. The beginning of wisdom is a
>healthy respect of God and intelligence is the knowledge of The Almighty.
>So I will say that I have found more smart preachers than wise scientists.

I did not mean (although it obviously sounded that way) to be disparaging to
preachers. I am a believer who will share eternity with you and them. But I
do get tired of theologians making scientific statements that are so wrong
that it makes it hard for me to talk to my fellow geoscientists about the
Lord.

glenn

Foundation,Fall and Flood
http://members.gnn.com/GRMorton/dmd.htm