Re: Did Adam Evolve?

Glenn Morton (grmorton@gnn.com)
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 23:13:25

Marcio Pie wrote:

>Hi! This is the first time I am sending a post for the group, so it would
>be nice to introduce myself. My name is Marcio R. Pie and I am a
>graduate student enrolled in the Ecology Graduate Program of the Campinas
>State University, Brazil. My current research is on Evolutionary Ecology
>of Insects, more especifically on Ant-Herbivore Mutualisms. I am also a
>christian, member of the Mennonite Brethren Evangelical Church of
>Curitiba. It is a pleasure to discuss some of the things that have
>been bothering me for along time and share it with you guys.

Welcome to the reflector.

>Well, the poit is this. I was following the discussions about Adam that
>were carried buy the group and I realised that we do not know the real
>extension of this question.
>The whole traditional teology that is teached in our seminars and
>churches is based on some basic principals. One of the most important is
>the principle of the Fall. The teology considers the existence of a
>definite point in space and time where the man, by his own will, decided
>to sin. This principle has a lot of theological consequences, as the
>Original Sin Theology, etc. This point of view is very confortable for
>the YEC's, since has nothing against their assumptions. But I, like many
>of you, do not believe in the evidences presented by the YEC's (I would
>be very thankful if anyone could give me a name of a scientist wo
>believes in the YEC's and is not a christian)*. Considering the current
>scientific evidences, I am a evolutionist. That puts me in a very
>confortable position in relation to the current science, but certainly also
>puts me in a very unconfortable position in relation to theology.
>How can I consider the notion of the Fall in the "paradigm" of
>evolutionary creationism? When, and how did the man became a real man, in
>the theological view? What feature makes him a real man?
>Please, give me your opinions.
>May God bless you all!
>Sorry my bad english!

Your English is very good. I believe that man became man when he learned to
speak. Since there are brain structures (Broca's area and Wernicke's
area)which leave impressions on the interior of the skull and which are
associated with speech, I believe that that is a good indication that humanity
was here. This occurs first in the skull known as KNM-ER 1470 which is dated
to about 2.0 million years ago. Mankind may have existed before that but one
can't prove it at this point.

glenn

Foundation,Fall and Flood
http://members.gnn.com/GRMorton/dmd.htm