Did Adam Evolve?

Russell T. Cannon (rcannon@usa.net)
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 17:47:31 -0600

Wayne McKellips wrote (among other things):

>I believe Adam's parents were Mr. and Mrs. dust. Like Glenn
>I believe this is in agreement with the Biblical text. I
>also believe Eve was created from Adam's rib.

I have wondered what the implications for Eve were.

Let me summarize what I believe on this issue so everyone knows where
I'm coming from.

1. Adam's flesh was developed progressively from "dust" (e.g.
non-living matter) through a process of supernatural selection. This
process may have included such events as divine-selective interbreeding
of species and possibly supernatural-procreative acts (the virgin birth
of Yeshua is an example of the latter). NOTE: I do not mean to
trivialize the virgin birth. I mean only to point to it as an example
of an act where God creates a new species from the genetic material of a
former one together with new "material" that he provides supernaturally.

2. The Spirit of Adam was created directly by God at the moment of his
conception thus making him unique a spiritual person. His father and
mother, being pre-Adamic, did not have a human spirit. In other words,
the Homo Sapiens species began merely as the "highest animal" and God
chose one to be Adam and gave him a spirit. After Adam was born and
until the flood, both pre-Adamic and Adamic lines lived together.

3. Cain--Adamic line--eventually married a woman who was from the
pre-Adamic line.

4. Seth married his sister of the Adamic line. All men in the line
from Seth to the sons of Noah took wives from the Adamic line
maintaining a pure race even though many of their own brothers married
into the pre-Adamic line.

5. The following verse (Gen 6:2) takes a different meaning: "the sons
of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them
wives of all which they chose." The sons of God are the Adamic line and
the daughters of men are the pre-Adamic line. The wickedness of the
pre-flood civilization included the intermarrying between the two lines
of men.

6. The local or regional flood killed all of those living of both lines
except the purely Adamic line that was in the ark.

NOTE: Because the differences between the Adamic and pre-Adamic lines
of Homo Sapiens were purely spiritual in nature, there would never be
any evidence of their distinquishing characteristics in organic remains.
It is worth noting however, that although the Homo Sapiens species began
over 40,000 years ago, human civilization began less that ten thousand
years ago.

What does this mean about Eve? Did God create her to be Adamic at that
moment or did He go back in time? Did God create Eve by going back in
time and creating sexual reproduction at an appropriate moment thus
bringing history forward with a new reality? Did God make Eve the same
way He made Adam--borrowing the egg and womb of some other unsuspecting
Homo Sapiens "pre-Adamic" woman? Unfortunately, Jewish tradition does
not lend much to this discussion.

So much for my two-cents worth of Christian heresy. Would you believe
that I am a fundamentalist Christian?

Russ

-- Russell T. Cannonrcannon@usa.net