Re: Did Adam Evolve?

Dario A Giraldo (giraldo@wln.com)
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 22:32:08 -0800

My name is Dario Giraldo and subscribed to the list a little over three
weeks ago.
I'm a Sr. DP Consultant to the State of Washington. I have been following
some of the discussions about origins of man and have decided to send a
reply.

Personally, I believe that the exact moment of creation and how it happened
still a mystery. When I'll die and if I remember (or care) I'll make a
point to ask Him how it all began. How man came into being I believe, was
that God supernaturally made man, male and female, without having to wait
for all of the lapses in time suggested here. God lives in a different
dimension and He isn't constrained by our limits. After all, the sun, moon
and stars weren't created until the fourth day of creation after there was
grass and trees on the earth. And the sole purpose they were created was
to mark time. We humans need time.

We keep on forgetting that what makes God God, is the fact that He moves
and behaves differently than we and lives in a realm that we can't even
imagine. We try to make Him or His creation fit a model. After all,
evolution theory is so full of wholes that everyday it needs to change.
For example today somebody found some tools made of stone over 2,000,000
years old. At least that is the claim. How them can we have tools so old
and yet man wasn't supposed to be 'smart enough' to use tools much less
make them ?

Anyway, here is the reason of my post:

Russell T. Cannon wrote:

> 1. Adam's flesh was developed progressively from "dust" (e.g.
> non-living matter) through a process of supernatural selection. This
> process may have included such events as divine-selective interbreeding
> of species and possibly supernatural-procreative acts (the virgin birth
> of Yeshua is an example of the latter). NOTE: I do not mean to
> trivialize the virgin birth. I mean only to point to it as an example
> of an act where God creates a new species from the genetic material of a
> former one together with new "material" that he provides supernaturally.
>
> 2. The Spirit of Adam was created directly by God at the moment of his
> conception thus making him unique a spiritual person. His father and
> mother, being pre-Adamic, did not have a human spirit. In other words,
> the Homo Sapiens species began merely as the "highest animal" and God
> chose one to be Adam and gave him a spirit. After Adam was born and
> until the flood, both pre-Adamic and Adamic lines lived together.
>
> 3. Cain--Adamic line--eventually married a woman who was from the
> pre-Adamic line.
>
> 4. Seth married his sister of the Adamic line. All men in the line
> from Seth to the sons of Noah took wives from the Adamic line
> maintaining a pure race even though many of their own brothers married
> into the pre-Adamic line.
>
> 5. The following verse (Gen 6:2) takes a different meaning: "the sons
> of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them
> wives of all which they chose." The sons of God are the Adamic line and
> the daughters of men are the pre-Adamic line. The wickedness of the
> pre-flood civilization included the intermarrying between the two lines
> of men.
>
> 6. The local or regional flood killed all of those living of both lines
> except the purely Adamic line that was in the ark.
>
> NOTE: Because the differences between the Adamic and pre-Adamic lines
> of Homo Sapiens were purely spiritual in nature, there would never be
> any evidence of their distinquishing characteristics in organic remains.
> It is worth noting however, that although the Homo Sapiens species began
> over 40,000 years ago, human civilization began less that ten thousand
> years ago.
>
> What does this mean about Eve? Did God create her to be Adamic at that
> moment or did He go back in time? Did God create Eve by going back in
> time and creating sexual reproduction at an appropriate moment thus
> bringing history forward with a new reality? Did God make Eve the same
> way He made Adam--borrowing the egg and womb of some other unsuspecting
> Homo Sapiens "pre-Adamic" woman? Unfortunately, Jewish tradition does
> not lend much to this discussion.

I must confess that this message have some interesting reading material but
it doesn't pass mustard.
To take this position is to ignore Scripture.

First of all, when God created marine life it is recorded that He gave a
command 'Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has
life...) Gen. 1:20 and it was made. When this was finished '...God saw
that it was good.' Gen. 1:21.

Second, when God created land based animals He gave a similar command 'Let
the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind...' Gen. 1:24.
When this was finished '...God saw that it was good.'

But something is different when the creation of man is described. We find
that '...God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness...' We
encounter here the Deity speaking in third person plural and actually God
is very active and personally involved with man. In Gen. 2:7 we find
'...Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his
nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul'.

When God finished man and thus His creation '...God saw every thing that he
had made, and behold, it was very good...' Something happened after man
was created that caused God to see it no merely as 'good' but 'very good'.

Using Scripture to interpret Scripture we find in Eccl. 12:7 'Then shall
the dust return to the earth as it was; and the spirit shall return to God
who gave it.' We find that Scripture uses dust to describe a fully formed
and living human being.

Back to Eve. We find in Gen. 2:21-23 that a deep sleep fell on Adam and
out of his rib God made the woman. This was the same being that God formed
in Gen. 2:7.

In Gen. 2:24 was recorded '...shall a man leave his father and his mother
and shall cleave unto his wife; and they shall be one flesh.' We find in
the New Testament, Jesus quoting this part of Scripture as something that
actually happened 'Have you not read that he which made them at the
beginning made them male and female...for this cause shall a man leave
father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife...'.
Here the Master uses the creation of man instance as something that really
took place in history. Not some condensed myth story.

Moreover Paul spills his epistles with references to the first man Adam as
a real person not some evolved ape (Rom. 5:14; 1Cor.15:22, 45) and mentions
Eve (1Tim.2:13).

> So much for my two-cents worth of Christian heresy. Would you believe
> that I am a fundamentalist Christian?

Belief depends on what is your definition of 'fundamentalist Christian'.

Best Regards,

Dario Giraldo
Lacey, Washington