Re: digression on slang

Denis Lamoureux (dlamoure@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca)
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 15:22:16 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, Bill Hamilton wrote:

> Jim Bell wrote
>
> (Quoting Denis L)
> << Most know little about Charles Darwin and most could care less.>>
>
> This was my point: The term "could care less" is sloppy, conveying precisely
> the OPPOSITE of what is intended. The correct phrase, of course, is "couldn't
> care less" (and I assume many of you couldn't care less that this drives me
> crazy). But every now and then, a little blow for the King's English is in
> order.
>
> I agree with you, Jim, but the term "I could care less" seems to have a
> long history. I first ran into it in ROTC summer camp in 1963. It seemed
> to be a very popular phrase among the officers, and the emphasis was placed
> on "care" and "less". The meaning seemed to be "I _could_ care even less
> than I do, but the difference would be insignificant." I got so used to it
> that the correct terminology grater on me. I solve the problem by not
> using either variant.

Hi Bill,
I stand corrected. So my maternal language is French, and yes, I also
went through the Canadian equivalent of ROTC. I should have said:

<< Most know little about Charles Darwin and most couldn't care less.>>

Thanks,
Denis

Denis O. Lamoureux DDS PhD PhD (cand)
Department of Oral Biology Residence:
Faculty of Dentistry # 1908
University of Alberta 8515-112 Street
Edmonton, Alberta Edmonton, Alberta
T6G 2N8 T6G 1K7
CANADA CANADA

Lab: (403) 492-1354
Residence: (403) 439-2648
Dental Office: (403) 425-4000

E-mail: dlamoure@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca

"In all debates, let truth be thy aim, and endeavor to gain
rather than expose thy opponent."