Re: Of PhDs, priests and logic

Denis Lamoureux (dlamoure@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca)
Thu, 23 May 1996 14:08:51 -0600 (MDT)

Hi Brian,
Nice post.

On Wed, 22 May 1996, Brian D. Harper wrote:

> My main reasons for switching views were:
>
> 1) I learned the difference between the science of evolution and
> evolutionism.

I knew this one as a YEC.

> 2) I found out that almost everything I knew about evolution was
> wrong. Some of what I'm learning now makes sense to me.

Yep. I was a first rate SECONDARY LITERATURE regurgitating machine
millions of miles away from appreciating or even understanding the issues.

> 3) I like the theology. Sorry, I don't mean to shock people ;-).

Beautiful. As weird as this may sound, you are so right. This only comes
with a full appreciation of theodicy and hermeneutics.

> 4) I think the actions of many creationists are doing great harm
> to the church and I want to oppose those as best I am able.

AMEN! Just think of the stumbling blocks YECs and PCs put in the way of
those pagans familiar with the biological record. That grieves me.

Blessings,
Denis

Denis O. Lamoureux DDS PhD PhD (cand)
Department of Oral Biology Residence:
Faculty of Dentistry # 1908
University of Alberta 8515-112 Street
Edmonton, Alberta Edmonton, Alberta
T6G 2N8 T6G 1K7
CANADA CANADA

Lab: (403) 492-1354
Residence: (403) 439-2648
Dental Office: (403) 425-4000

E-mail: dlamoure@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca

"In all debates, let truth be thy aim, and endeavor to gain
rather than expose thy opponent."