Re: Of PhDs, priests and logic

Brian D. Harper (bharper@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu)
Wed, 22 May 1996 23:21:38 -0400 (EDT)

At 05:58 AM 5/14/96 EDT, Steve wrote:

>>[...]
>>
>>BH>I think this is what it usually boils down to. People get
>>shot down and they don't like it (understandably :). Rather
>>than own up, they want to blame someone else. This is the
>>"its not my fault" generation.
>
>SJ>Again, perhaps Brian can let me know who is the "someone else" I am
>>supposed to be blaming?
>
>BH>I spent a great deal of time and effort trying to show you
>>that your either intelligent design or chance argument
>>was faulty. When you finally became aware of this what
>>did you do? Rather than admit your error you tried to
>>blame me for putting words in your mouth.

SJ:===
>No. You did switch arguments mid-stream from Natural-Supernatural to
>Chnace-Intelligent Design.

NO, Steve, this is just plain false. I've already back-tracked through the
thread in question to show clearly that you were the one who introduced
chance vs. intelligent design. Now, will you finally admit that it
was your argument and that its been refuted? I'm really embarrassed
for you Steve.

SJ:===
>I admitted my "error" in not picking up
>the switch and going along with it for a while. I am happy to accept
>either set and debate that. Which is it to be?

The debate is already over.

>BH>A year or so ago I spent a great amount of time and effort
>>debating the origin of life on talk.origins. At the time I
>>was a progressive creationist with views very much like
>>yours.

SJ:==
>That's interesting. Denis says something similar. Perhaps Brian will
>state exactly what his "progressive creationist...views" were, and why
>he abandoned them?

No, I really don't want to go into the specifics of my views on
progressive creation.

My main reasons for switching views were:

1) I learned the difference between the science of evolution and
evolutionism.

2) I found out that almost everything I knew about evolution was
wrong. Some of what I'm learning now makes sense to me.

3) I like the theology. Sorry, I don't mean to shock people ;-).

4) I think the actions of many creationists are doing great harm
to the church and I want to oppose those as best I am able.

There's probably more but this will do for now.

===

Brian Harper | "I can't take my guesses back
Associate Professor | That I based on almost facts
Applied Mechanics | That ain't necessarily so"
Ohio State University | -- Willie Nelson