Re: God's Intervention (was Developmental Evolutionary Bi.

Denis Lamoureux (dlamoure@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca)
Sat, 11 May 1996 08:39:50 -0600 (MDT)

On Sat, 11 May 1996, Bill Hamilton wrote:

> Denis Lamoureux wrote:
> >Do you agree that there is a schism emerging in North American
> >evangelicalism/fundamentalism between YEC and PC? If so, why? Maybe
> >Hawking's influence?

BH
> I'm not sure I'd agree with "emerging". I remember reading some of Morris
> & Co.'s YEC literature in the late 70's, in which they took great pains to
> close off the PC route, starting from Gen 2:2: "By the seventh day God had
> finished the work he had been doing; and on the he rested." I have a
> splendid example of that captured on tape: Duane Gish falling all over
> himself to take Hugh Ross to task on Focus on the Family a few years ago.
> In any case you are correct that the YEC's are quite suspicious of PC.

Hi Bill,
You are right. There is no doubt today that the YECs are going out of
their way to distance themselves from Ross and his concordist PC. I
even remember coming across an "Acts and Facts" dealing with Ross. But
that is my point. As a hardcore YEC from 1979 to 1987 I can't remember
any overt attack on PC. YECs certainly were aware of it, but it
just wasn't a significant paradigm in the minds of North American
evangelical/fundamentalists at that time. I think the works of Ross
and Johnson, and with Hawking's contribution in the background, there has
been/is a shift going on. In particular, I see
little resistance to an old earth coming from (and I must qualify) well-read
evangelical/fundamentalists. If any thing there's a slight distain to the
YEC formulation by these Christians.

Blessings,
Denis

Denis O. Lamoureux DDS PhD PhD (cand)
Department of Oral Biology Residence:
Faculty of Dentistry # 1908
University of Alberta 8515-112 Street
Edmonton, Alberta Edmonton, Alberta
T6G 2N8 T6G 1K7
CANADA CANADA

Lab: (403) 492-1354
Residence: (403) 439-2648
Dental Office: (403) 425-4000

E-mail: dlamoure@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca

"In all debates, let truth be thy aim, and endeavor to gain
rather than expose thy opponent."