Re: Philosophy of Science

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.net.au)
Thu, 01 Feb 96 06:17:57 EST

Bill

On Tue, 30 Jan 1996 16:56:46 -0500 you wrote:

[...]

BH>Intelligent design convinces me that there is an intelligent
>designer. It doesn't IMO yield much light on the methods the
>designer used.

Agreed. But if there in fact was an Intelligent Designer, then it is
the beginning of wisdom (Ps 111:10; Pr 1:7; 9:10) to accept that
fact as a starting point to science.

BH>And it seems to me science is about the methods He used (and
>uses).

This is indeed what science *should* be. But if science is estricted
to considering only natural causes, and there is in fact an
Intelligent Designer who intervened in nature at strategic points to
introduce new information and direction, then to to that extent
science will be an incomplete description of reality.

There is nothing wrong with science being an incomplete description
of reality, providing scientists state that up front and don't
then claim that science is a complete description of reality.

God bless.

Stephen

| Stephen Jones ,--_|\ sjones@iinet.net.au |
| 3 Hawker Ave / Oz \ http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Warwick 6024 ->*_,--\_/ phone +61 9 448 7439. (These are |
| Perth, Australia v my opinions, not my employer's) |