Re: TE or PC?

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.net.au)
Fri, 12 Jan 96 20:23:24 EST

Loren

On Tue, 09 Jan 1996 19:48:33 -0500 (EST) you wrote:

LH>Stephen, your question to Terry Gray prompts me to ask you a
>question in turn. I would really appreciate a "terminology" clarification.
>(Since we've danced around this issue before, and I'd like to nail it
>down now.)

I thought we already had? :-)

LH>If someone were to say:
>
> --Scientifically, I believe that natural processes are sufficient
> to produce abiogenesis and the evolution of biological novelty
> and increased complexity.
> --Theologically (or philosophically), I believe that God started
> the process, sort of like an experiment, and never intervened
> in it.
>
> we agree that position could be called "Deistic Evolution."

Agreed.

LH>If someone were to say:
>
> --Scientifically, I believe that natural processes are INsufficient
> (without the aid of intelligent intervention) to produce
> first life, biological novelty, and increased complexity.
> --Theologically, I believe that God directly and supernaturally
> intervened at strategic points in biological history to
> bring about the origin and development of the living world.
>
> we agree that position could be called "Progressive Creation."

Yes.

LH>But what if someone were to say:
>
> --Scientifically, I believe that natural processes are sufficient
> to produce abiogenesis and the evolution of biological novelty
> and increased complexity.
> --Theologically, I believe that God guided those natural processes
> (continuously, or at strategic points) to ensure certain
> particulars of biological history (e.g. particular aspects
> of human development).
>
> what name would you give to that position?

Theistic Evolution

I have tried to give a straight answer. The boundaries between DE and
TE and between TE and PC are sometimes difficult to draw.

May I predict your next question? :-)

"If someone were to say:

--Scientifically, I believe that natural processes are
insufficient (without the aid of intelligent intervention) to
produce first life, biological novelty, and increased
complexity.

--Theologically, I believe that God guided those natural
processes (continuously, or at strategic points) to ensure
certain particulars of biological history (e.g. particular
aspects of human development).

what name would you give to that position?"

I would say this is Theistic Evolution also. The test IMHO is the
extent of ongoing involvement by God, e.g.:

Deistic evolution - God provided laws and mechanisms of the cosmos and
life, and started them off, but played no further part in their
natural processes.

Theistic evolution - God provided laws and mechanisms of the cosmos
and life, and started them off, and was continuously involved
immanently in sustaining, controlling and guiding them through natural
processes.

Progressive Creation - God provided laws and mechanisms of the cosmos
and life, and started them off, and was continuously involved
immanently in sustaining, controlling and guiding them through natural
processes, and in addition intervened transcendently at strategic
points to introduce new information and direction.

God bless.

Stephen

| Stephen Jones ,--_|\ sjones@iinet.net.au |
| 3 Hawker Ave / Oz \ http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Warwick 6024 ->*_,--\_/ phone +61 9 448 7439. (These are |
| Perth, Australia v my opinions, not my employer's) |