Re: burials

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.net.au)
Mon, 04 Dec 95 21:52:57 EST

Group

On Sat, 25 Nov 1995 22:33:16 -0500 Glenn wrote:

[...]

SJ>Agreed. I think that the best indicator is language:<<

GM>As I have mentioned before, the earliest evidence of a being with
>the brain mechanism for language was Homo habilis who lived between
>2.4 and 1.8 million years ago. I agree with you that language is the
>best indicator of humanity. They apparently had it.

And I have posted a number of quotes from evolutionary anthropologists
that point out that this is not necessarily so, ie. in the sense of
having a complex language.

>Stephen quotes Gould,
SJ>By evidence now
>available, Neanderthal knew nothing of representational art." (Gould
>S.J., "Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History",
>Penguin: London, 1991, p320)<<

GM>This is no longer true Stephen. By evidence now available,
>Neanderthal or an even earlier being, archaic homo sapiens knew about
>and produced representational art. Stephen, I have mentioned this
>before but you keep ignoring it. (I think you ignore it because it
>doesn't fit your view). And if you are going to quote people
>intellectual integrity should require that you quote the latest data
>available(notice the dates of my quotes vs. yours).

I should point out to all on the Reflector that Glenn does not believe
I have "integrity". He has told me so privately. Anyone who knows me
would find this charge ridiculous. It is interesting that even
atheists on the Internet and Fidonet have not levelled this charge at
me. I leave it up to the Lord to deal with Glenn on this point. I
think I will stop responding to Glenn's posts, since I believe it is
totally fruitless debating with him :-(

But as to the recency of quotes, I have also posted the following
before:

"Among all the events and transformations in human evolution, the
origins of modern humans were, until recently, the easiest to account
for. Around 35,000 years ago, signs of a new, explosively energetic
culture in Europe marked the beginning of the period known as the
Upper Paleolithic. They included a highly sophisticated variety of
tools, made out of bone and antler as well as stone. Even more
important, the people making these tools- usually known as
Cro-Magnons, a name borrowed from a tiny rock shelter in southern
France where their skeletons were first found, in 1868-had discovered
a symbolic plane of existence, evident in their gorgeously painted
caves, carved animal figurines, and the beads and pendants adorning
their bodies. The Neanderthals who had inhabited Europe for tens of
thousands of years had never produced anything remotely as elaborate."
(Shreeve J., "The Neanderthal Peace", Discover, September 1995, p73)

[...]"~Desmond Morris, The Human Animal, (New
>York: Crown Publishing, 1994), p. 186-188.

[...]"~Alexander Marshack, "On
>the "Geological' Explanation of the Berekhat Ram Figurine," Current
>Anthropology, 36:3, June, 1995, p. 495.

I think "September 1995" is more recent "1994" or "June 1995"! I
wonder if Glenn will take his own advice? :-)

>Stephen wrote:
SJ>Yes. Glenn seems out of step even with modern evolutionary
thinking:<<

GM>That should make ICR like me a lot. Thanks for the recommendation.
:-)

Who mentioned the "ICR"?

God bless.

Stephen

| 3 Hawker Ave | / Oz \ | sjones@odyssey.apana.org.au |
| Warwick 6024 |->*_,--\_/ | http://www.iinet.net.au/~sjones/ |
| Perth, Australia | v | phone +61 9 448 7439 |