Re: human activities

GRMorton@aol.com
Thu, 30 Nov 1995 23:28:11 -0500

Stephen Jones wrote:

>GM>As to your recitation of the sudden appearance of carved objects, I
>have
>>previously pointed out that it was the invention of the burin which allowed
>>finely carved objects to be produced. What you cite as "a sharp
>>distinction between the abilities of Homo sapiens and other hominids." is
>>nothing more than the results of the invention of the burin- an engraving
>>tool.
>
>I can't recall that I gave a "recitation of the sudden appearance of
>carved objects". Perhaps it was Jim Bell?
>
>I do however believe there was a "a sharp distinction between the
>abilities of Homo sapiens and other hominids", as acknowledged even by
>evolutionists:
>
>"Our closest ancestors and cousins, Homo erectus, the Neanderthals,
>and others, possessed mental abilities of a high order, as indicated
>by their range of tools and other artifacts. But only Homo sapiens
>shows direct evidence for the kind of abstract reasoning, including
>numerical and aesthetic modes, that we identify as distinctively
>human. All indications of ice-age reckoning-the calendar sticks and
>counting blades-belong to Homo sapiens. And all the ice-age art-the
>cave paintings, the Venus figures, the horse- head carvings, the
>reindeer bas-reliefs-was done by our species. By evidence now
>available, Neanderthal knew nothing of representational art." (Gould
>S.J., "Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History",
>Penguin: London, 1991, p320)

Stephen,

You mis-understand. I was responding to your use of the quote of Gould.
Gould is now KNOWN to be wrong. The first art object was the approximately
330,000 year old Golan Venus. I gave you references. Gould's
"acknowledgement" is not useful to your position. Gould was correct in 1991
in his assertion, but in 1995, he is wrong. And if you depend on Gould to
support your contention that there are "distinctions between the abilities of
Homo sapiens and other hominids" you too would be wrong and behind the times.
The art object in question was from a time far too early to have been made
by modern homo sapiens. If they had the ability to make representational
art, then You and Gould are wrong. Please deal with the data as it stands
today, not as it stood in 1991.

glenn